BI / ETL Engineer
Technology – Development
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to make travel as simple, seamless and affordable as possible. We’re proud to be Europe’s leading independent train and coach platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £2.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 80 million visits to our apps and websites each month.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
To assist with our ambitious expansion plans and to best support our business growth we are looking for an ETL Engineer to join our BI team. This team is responsible for building a Redshift Datawarehouse that will enable Trainline to make faster and more data led decisions. The team is responsible for;
- Developing data warehouses.
- Enabling our analysts to generate the critical BI/MI insights needed to manage and optimize our business.
What You’ll Be Working On
- Building an EDW (Enterprise Data Warehouse)
- Physical design of the EDW.
- Writing ETL jobs to populate data into the EDW.
- Tune the programs and queries to optimize data load/transform times, ensure data accuracy, error handling and escalation.
- Put in place CI/CD tools and processes for both ETL jobs
- Knowledge sharing with rest of Database Development Team.
What You’ll Bring…Essential
- Strong SQL skills
- 2+ years implementing a large-scale data warehouse system (ie. Snowflake or Redshift or Teradata or other MPP system)
- Performance tuning experience with large relational databases
- In depth knowledge of data warehouse/BI development
- Knowledge of dimensional modelling.
- Experience of AWS cloud especially on S3
- Experience of Columnar databases (ie. Snowflakes or Bigquery or Redshift)
- Experience of agile development methodologies.
- Experience with Python, Unix Shell, Spark SQL
- Experience of using Redshift Spectrum.
- Experience of using EMR for data transformation.
- Experience of other AWS services – such as S3, Athena and Glue.
- Experience of Bigdata(ie. Hadoop, Hive)
- Experience of working with end user/visualisation tooling – Tableau preferred.