Technology – Development
Our Mission 🚀
We’re Trainline, Europe’s leading rail and coach travel app. We know travel’s better when there’s less stress and less time spent planning, therefore our aim is to bring together all rail, coach and other services into one simple experience, so customers get the best prices and smart, real time travel info on the go 🚝🚌🌎
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Trainline is used by millions of people every day, we process over 200 ticket sales per minute, and 80 million+ transactions per month. It simply would not be possible to move fast enough if we were not able to trust our engineers to produce code of the highest quality. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release over 300 times per week.
We review code via pull requests ✔️
We pair smartly✔️
We advocate Test-Driven Development (TDD)✔️
We treat staging like production✔️
Introducing the Mobile team 👋
Our Mobile team are the people who build the travel companion in your pocket. The own the mobile app that allows you to buy your travel ticket and the buy-flow process that helps you get there. The team is split into both Android and iOS, each with a technical lead, all reporting into the Mobile Development Manager. Key technologies are: Kotlin, rxjava, Dagger, Swift, Objective-c and Cucumber, with a huge focus on a mature approach to TDD.
As an iOS Developer at Trainline, here's some things you'll be working on...
- You’ll be a part of the mobile team where you will contribute to the design and implementation of our software.
- We appreciate the value of agile and of engineering practices, and solid, clean code.
- You’ll be actively involved in all aspects of the product lifecycle
- We build and deliver software using agile practices (SCRUM, two weeks iterations), continuous integration and pair programming.
- Delivering new functionalities, using the most appropriate tools and techniques
We'd love to hear from you if you.. 🔎
- In-depth experience with Objective-C and Cocoa Touch
- Working experience with Swift
- Enthusiasm for a great user experience
- Ability to write testable code and excellent debugging skills
- Experience working with Git
- Appreciate the value of TDD and incorporate those practices into your code
and you've worked on..
- High traffic eCommerce retail environments
- Experience working with Swift, Objective-C and XCode
- Mobile application performance analysis and tuning experience.
Our Culture 🤗
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.