Software Engineer (H/F)
Technology – Development /
Our Mission 🚀
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travelers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270 rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists, we're changing the way that people travel through the use of high quality software and technological innovation.
We know that great software requires great coding practices. Trainline is used by millions of people every day, we process 90 million+ visits per month. It simply would not be possible to move fast enough if we were not able to trust our engineers to produce code of the highest quality. Here are some key practices which we insist upon across our teams that allow us to release with speed and quality.
We review code via pull requests ✔️
We pair smartly✔️
We advocate Test-Driven Development (TDD)✔️
We treat staging like production✔️
Introducing the Connections Team 👋
Did you know that Trainline sell the rail + coach tickets of over 200 transport operating companies in 45 countries? Those numbers are constantly growing and in the Connections team we focus on building & supporting new and existing integrations with these companies. At Trainline we make it possible to book travel from Milan to Paris or from Madrid to Marseille. Our connections team are at the heart of making that happen.
// As a Software Engineer at Trainline you will...🚄
- Use cutting edge technology to deliver world class solutions
- Deliver new functionalities, using the most appropriate tools & techniques
- Continuously improve the code base, removing technical debt + provide excellent customer experience when applicable.
- Work in a cross-functional team with all the skills necessary to deliver the product end to end
// We'd love to hear from you if you...🔍
- Thrive in a diverse, open and collaborative environment
- Have excellent knowledge in a software language, such as Ruby, C#, Java, Python
- Love working to Agile development practices
- Have a consistent background in software development in high volume environments
// But why should you join? 🤔
- You will be working in a multi-cultural team with regular contact with our London office. We have over 48 nationalities across our 3 offices in Paris, London and Edinburgh who work closely together – an amazing chance to develop international experience.
- We pay special attention to flexible working as we value a strong work/life balance.
- Additionally, we have a range of benefits such as RTT, lunch vouchers, travel discounts but also a friendly and welcoming team environment
Si vous n'avez pas un excellent niveau d'anglais, ne vous en faites pas. Nous travaillons dans un environnement où plusieurs langues et nationalités se côtoient, et nous vous proposerons des cours afin de renforcer vos compétences en anglais.
// Our Technology Stack 💻
We use a variety of technologies at Trainline. In the connections team you will work with:
- Ruby as our backend language. We welcome applicants from all language backgrounds though
- PostgreSQL for our database management
- Elasticsearch + Redis
- AWS as our cloud platform
Our Culture 🤗
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.