Group Financial Controller
Finance – Financial Control /
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 90 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange in June 2019 and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
Purpose of the Role
We are looking to hire a commercially focused and technically astute Group Financial Controller to join our fast-paced business and team. We are looking for succession planning for our FD and you will need to be accomplished and ready to hit the FC role running and be aspiring to step into the FDs shows in the next 1-2 years.
This isn’t a BAU month end Financial Controller – you need a broad skillset balancing your core technical strength with commercial acumen and finance thought leadership. If you are looking for a broad and exciting opportunity where no two days are the same and you are a results focused and driven individual looking to work in an exciting high growth tech Company which is going places, then look no further!
You will manage the Group’s whole Financial Control function, split across our offices in Edinburgh, Paris and London (so travel between offices will be required). Ensuring the output from our teams is timely, accurate and reflects IFRS accounting standards and any changes to them. With a large team (45 in total), we will be looking for someone who can display excellent people management in previous roles and someone who has a strong ‘fit’ with our culture. We also need some who can build strong relationships across the business outside finance, so you will need to be someone with great impact and who can translate finance jargon into plain English.
This is a truly career defining role for someone passionate about both the technical and business sides of Finance looking for an opportunity to play an important part in a highly rated, growing team. In return for your hard work, we’ll provide you with lots of opportunity for progression across the breadth of Finance as you play your part in disrupting and defining a product that is changing the way we travel and inspiring millions people all over the world to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices every day.
- Delivering all internal and external Financial reporting including year end and half year public reporting
- Ensuring audit cycles run smoothly and to time, stepping in when issues arise, and overseeing the change of auditor taking place later this year
- Perpetuating the culture of continuous process improvement, looking for constant progress around systems and procedures, and helping the team to deliver these
- Leading on banking, financing and treasury across the Group including managing relationships with our banks and finance syndicate as well as FX impact on both the Balance sheet and cash flows
- Overseeing the team’s inputs into the budgeting process and helping in this challenge and review process, working closely alongside FP&A
- Be seen as a key point of contact for your commercial finance colleagues, feeding into commercial negotiations and considerations in relation to FX, working capital as well as other areas
Must have knowledge & experience
- Chartered accountant (ACA/ICAS/ACCA or equivalent) – industry experience is required
- A driven individual who has proven career progression in a fast paced environment and who has aspirations for future progression
- You will likely have a practice background but will have held at least one role in industry. This is a broad and senior GFC position, so you may have held a smaller GFC role in the past but be looking for stretch to the next level
- IFRS listed company and financial reporting experience
- Experience with cash flow forecasting and management / experience managing the treasury function
- Strong technical accounting background – you will have a Group Reporting Manager but ultimate decision-making responsibility on accounting application will sit with you
- Proven ability of commercial thinking and input – whether this be previous business partnering, a role outside of financial control
- Excellent written and oral communications – you will need to be able to write for the Board and Audit Committee with limited review input and also be able to present orally at this level
- Consolidation experience – including treatment of FX across a multi-currency consolidation, complex accounting eliminations, understanding of different chart of accounts in same Group, experience of adding new entities etc
- Experience in the following would be advantageous: acquisitions, accounting for and management of share-based payment schemes, impairment testing in relation to a high growth CGUs, Going concern and viability analysis – particularly if you have done this for a COVID impacted business.
- Ability to balance strong technical accounting grounding with commercial insight and awareness of operational and business needs
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.