Head of Platform Engineering
Technology – Infrastructure /
Our Mission 🚀
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270 rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Introducing the Platform Delivery organisation 👋
The Platform Delivery team cover all areas of infrastructure, reliability, platform and operations engineering across public cloud and data centres; Windows & Linux builds, deployment & management, CDN configuration, load balancing, PKI and a variety of other technologies that combine to provide the Platform for all other teams to use.
The Platform Delivery team are responsible for the build, deployment and management of all Cloud and on-premise infrastructure that host the Trainline platform. From a customer’s first interaction through to our connectivity to the rail operators and payment providers. This infrastructure underpins all channels to sell train and coach tickets to people living in more than 175 countries in 14 languages.
We are a fast-growing company that loves leveraging new technology to build world-class products for our customers. We run a diverse platform that is hosted on AWS utilising the best of what it has to offer, coupled with our own tooling this allows us to embrace Continuous Delivery, DevSecOps and cloud environments to their full potential. You will often find members of our leadership team, as well as our development community, speaking at meetups, conferences.
The Platform Engineering team are directly responsible for identifying, building and delivering the right solutions for the right purposes, focusing extensively on cloud-based infrastructure where we run 100% of our production workloads. We want you to analyse our environments and responsibilities, figure out what can be done better and benchmark the right solutions to address them. Architect it, document it, debate it, implement it, own it or train others to run it. You will be working in an enterprise environment with exposure to the latest technology (particularly around automation, IaaS and PaaS) and high-growth agile environments that require innovative and robust solutions to solve complex requirements.
You will also be aware of wider business requirements and will take onboard the expertise of colleagues to make technical decisions that are then driven through to implementation and adoption. You will be outgoing, able to build relationships across the company, able to work with others and someone who can lead by example, translating vision to practical solutions on the ground.
We are seeking a dynamic individual who understands the value of ‘one team’ and helps to take Trainline’s infrastructure from where it is today to its next future evolution.
· Lead and take full accountability for your actions taken and decisions made across all platform infrastructure
· Contribute to the overall engineering of our public cloud infrastructure
· Keep up to date with the latest relevant technologies, continually evaluating their use for Trainline platform/infrastructure
· Contribute alongside our architecture team into our company tech radar
· Proactively ensure that security, reliability, performance and cost-efficiency are included in technical and architectural discussions, actively question decisions and provide guidance and own experience to ensure no stone is left unturned and risks are identified and highlighted
· Work with engineers across the company to design, document and implement solutions that cross one or more infrastructure and operations functions – be the glue that brings together solutions to complex issues
· Provide a coaching role so that others can understand choices made, keep up to date with latest technology choices and continue their professional development
· Use your own experience and learning to provide a fresh approach to technology and processes, thinking outside the box coming up with innovative and unique solutions, pushing the bar higher each time
· Establish and drive a high-quality bar in anything you do
· Grow and mentor a team of engineers, ensuring engineering best practices are followed leading by example
· Work closely with the wider Heads of Engineering to deliver on strategic objectives
· Play a pivotal role in how we design and evolve Trainline’s infrastructure
Knowledge & Experience
· Proven experience working with AWS
· Demonstrable knowledge of latest technologies in the IaaS and PaaS space, particularly around automation
· A passion for engineering practices and proven track record driving cultural change
· Able to lead by example, a hands-on technical engineer who has ‘been there and done that’ and is not afraid to get stuck in and implement their designs
· A solid background in technology with demonstrable career progression through roles with increasing technical proficiency
· Excellent interpersonal, relationship building and influencing skills
· Proven experience building high performing engineering teams with DevSecOps mindset
· Fast learner is the key skill as the technology we use today is not the one we will work on tomorrow
· Strong operational experience in AWS
· Writing infrastructure as code is second nature to you
· Strong automation skills: from the willingness to automate everything to knowing how to write, test and implement enterprise-grade pipelines for your code.
· Expert in at least one configuration management tool/framework
· Good operating knowledge of any Linux distro
· Good hands-on experience with Windows or at a minimum a willingness to work on IaaC for these systems
· In-depth knowledge around virtualisation, containers and FaaS
· Enterprise technology: concepts around fault-tolerant and highly available architectures
· Able to showcase both internally and externally and also adjusting to your audience the work you are doing or have done
· Experience with e-commerce websites operations
· Experience with architecture and implementation of cloud-native infrastructure solutions
· Experience managing and operating container-based platforms at scale
· A firm grasp on security and its importance within a cloud environment, PCI-DSS, CIS-CAT
· Good understanding of networking such as TCP/IP stack, HTTP and network security
Current technology scope
· AWS: EC2, ASG, Route 53, ELB, ECS, ECR, Lambda
· Packer, Terraform
· New Relic, Grafana, ELK
· GitLab, GitHub, TeamCity
Our Culture 🤗
Everything begins with great people, as well as aptitude, we put a heavy emphasis on attitude.
Coaches Over Heroes
- We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those individuals who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
- Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
- We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
- We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.