Director of Engineering
Technology – Development /
Trainline is the leading independent rail and coach travel platform selling rail and coach tickets to millions of travellers worldwide. Via our highly rated website and mobile app, people can seamlessly search, book and manage their journeys all in one place. We bring together millions of routes, fares and journey times from 270+ rail and coach carriers across 45 countries. We offer our customers the best price for their journey and smart, real time travel information on the go. Our aim is to make rail and coach travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices.
Technology @ Trainline
Over half of our staff are technologists who are making an impact on how people travel through the use of high-quality software.
At Trainline we have a modern and scalable tech platform that is built for volume and feature growth. Our mission is to find the perfect journey for our customer, and to do it in a fast, intuitive, reliable, and economic way. In a highly dynamic industry and with the ever-changing needs of our users, we must be ready to act, test, and measure quickly, in a way that only extensive and focused use of technology can enable us to. We have the power to revolutionise our customers’ travel experience through technology innovation.
Did you know that Trainline has:
· 20+ engineering teams
· 400+ software engineers
· 40+ daily Production deployments
· 600 services
· 96m+ monthly visits
As Director of Engineering, you will... 🚄
TPS (Trainline Partner Solutions)
- Lead three B2Bproduct verticals focused on delivering amazing customer experiences and solid platform services to a wide portfolio of over 12K customers.
- Work in partnership with our commercial and product colleagues on business development opportunities in the sales pipeline, ensuring new deals transition rapidly from sales phase to first ticket sale. Experience working on deal teams and leading Pre-Sales is desirable.
- Strive to deliver customer requirements while designing and building a scalable suite of products to underpin Trainline’s growth plans. Cost and time to market are key metrics.
- Obsess about the customer, every day. TPS (Trainline Partner Solutions) has ambitious plans to be part of every rail journey sold by powering more businesses to enable greener travel choices.
- Be an engineering authority on both White label and API based products, know what great looks like, how to scale and when to re-visit architectural decisions.
- In partnership with our CTO and the technology leadership team (CDO, VP Eng, Directors of Eng) evaluate opportunities for improvement and challenge us to redefine excellence in Software engineering, building a world-class function.
- Drive health and happiness of your engineering organization through hiring, people development, org structure planning and more. Engineering leadership starts with people.
- Drive exceptional execution of the roadmap – we have a lot of exciting things to get done, and we take pride in being able to deliver fast and to high quality.
- Partner with other Directors and VPs of Engineering to enhance the tech culture and processes – from on-calls and sprints to performance management and knowledge sharing. We want a best-in-class engineering organization.
- Collaborate with key cross-functional partners (Product, UX, Marketing etc.) to set direction, shape the roadmap, and land things end-to-end. Software is a team sport.
- Translate and cascade our broader business strategy to the software engineering organization, embedding a clear sense of direction, purpose, long-term thinking, and commercially driven decision making / prioritization of tasks
- Extract qualitative as well as quantitative insight from our squads to unlock potential and efficiencies – partner with theme leaders to set direction, as well as the roadmap for delivery
We'd love to hear from you if you... 🔍
- Have experience of developing and managing engineering teams, ideally overseeing teams of 100+ across multiple sites globally.
- Are a confident and inspirational leader, with a proper level of emotional intelligence.
- Have a proven record of accomplishment scaling world class products in the B2C or B2B, B2B2C space
- Are a strong strategic decision-maker, particularly with respect to resource planning in a growth environment.
- Have a product mindset, with a deep respect for and understanding of the value of user feedback and needs.
- Have experience shaping tech culture and designing processes across highly scalable engineering platforms in a cloud-based environment.
- Are a structured thinker and communicator at all levels - with non-technologists, to execs, internal and external.
- Advocate for the improvement of diversity, inclusion and belonging in the technical community with a passion to make this part of the culture.
- Have experience managing offshore teams and 3rd party supplier relationships/budgets.
- Have a passion for driving engineering excellence through modern practices and processes.
But why should you join?
You will be working in a high performing and collaborative multi-cultural team. We have over 42 nationalities across our 5 offices in London, Paris, Edinburgh, Barcelona and Milan who work closely together.
We want our people to stretch their minds, abilities, and share their knowledge. Each year we hold The Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
We've always paid special attention to flexible working as we value a strong work/life balance. The pandemic has taught us that a balance between remote working and being in a collaborative office environment leads to productive teams.
Coaches Over Heroes
We prioritise the focus on being one team over elevating the heroics of an individual, for us the true heroes are those who are excellent at nurturing, coaching and generous in sharing their knowledge with others.
Everything that we do takes into account the morale of every member of our team, their opportunities for growth and for participation in exciting challenges.
Mentoring and Learning
We have a mentoring community that is constantly growing, we provide people with mentors or buddies from various teams.
We hire awesome people capable of making smart decisions - empowerment is a great enabler of agility. It is within a supportive team that you will feel the strength to thrive and try new things knowing that everyone will be there for you along the way.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.