Interim Legal Counsel, Consumer Team – 12 Month FTC
Legal – Legal /
Trainline is an innovative, tech business with a mission to bring together the world’s rail, coach and other travel services into one simple experience. We aim to make travel easier and more accessible, encouraging people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices. We’re hugely proud to be the world’s leading independent rail and coach travel platform and rank among the highest-rated travel and ticketing apps globally. Today, we offer our customers travel to thousands of destinations in and across 45 countries in Europe and beyond. That’s more than £3.7 billion in ticket sales annually, and over 90 million visits to our apps and websites each month. In another major milestone, Trainline listed on the London Stock Exchange in June 2019 and is now part of the FTSE 250.
Our culture is central to our success. We’re driven to sustain our phenomenal growth from recent years, and this means we’re always working closely and collaboratively to turn our ideas into reality. It’s this sense of pace, innovating and improving pretty much everything we do, that makes Trainline so exciting and unique - we truly believe our work has a genuine impact and will change travel for the better.
The Legal team has been instrumental in supporting the business through its continued expansion. Headed up by James Hanratty (a Legal leader in Digital & Technology), they have won several industry accolades in recent years including ‘In-House Team of the Year’ at the Lexis Nexis Legal Awards in 2019. Striking a balance between being innovative and high performing yet remaining close-knit and highly supportive of one another, this is a highly regarded team where people genuinely enjoy what they do and make a difference to the business every day!
What you’ll be doing….
· You will provide legal support on all of Trainline’s UK big brand campaigns (such as TV adverts and high-profile promotions).
· You will also support the marketing teams on social campaigns and comms teams on press releases, including designing processes to help the business become more efficient as we scale.
· You’ll be focused on providing legal support to help develop the growth of Trainline’s global consumer business.
· You’ll be working as part of a cross-functional team with a huge range of consumer facing areas of Trainline’s business, including our Brand, Marketing, Communications, SEO, PPC and Product teams.
· You’ll be responsible for supporting our Growth team across the Marketing eco-system as we invest in big brand campaigns, TV adverts and a range of high-profile promotions.
· You’ll have the opportunity to help shape how the Legal team partners with consumer teams across the business as Trainline looks to revolutionise the market.
· Working closely with these innovative functions, you’ll take the lead on providing practical advice on a range of legal issues around cutting-edge products and initiatives.
We’re looking for creative big thinkers with small egos to achieve our ambitious plans.
Most importantly, you’ll be qualified in English or Scottish law, and will ideally have private practice and in-house experience, preferably with an online or tech focused business. It goes without saying that you will have a strongunderstanding of consumer and data protection law as well as incommercial contracts and e-commerce law and regulation.
A team player with excellent communication skills, you must be able to work cross-functionally, and possess strong influencing skills. You must be comfortable working autonomously in a fast-paced environment, dealing with complex legal issues and supporting the business in taking risk-based decisions based on your advice. In addition, you’ll need to be commercially astute and demonstrate a strong understanding of business.
As this role is an initial 12 month contract we are ideally looking for someone to start as soon as possible, so you will ideally be immediately available or on a short notice period.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.