Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Hi! We’re The Wanderlust Group an outdoor technology company composed of Dockwa.com and Marinas.com. We build marketplaces that connect adventurers to outdoor destinations, and technology that helps those destinations thrive. We believe that the best way we can make the world better is to get people out in it.
At The Wanderlust Group, you’ll be an integral part of a growing team, able to make an immediate impact and work alongside some of the most talented and dynamic people anywhere. We believe that a great culture enables great teams to do incredible things.
This is an opportunity for a results oriented Engineering Leader to have a big impact on a growing Engineering department within an organization that is poised to capture the U.S. Marina industry. Through your teams, you will lead the building of products that will make it irresponsible for Marinas to not be leveraging our services and together win the market.
As a Senior Manager of Software Engineering @ TWG you will:
- Be seen as a function-wide leader within Engineering.
- Be a driving force in the roadmap/planning process.
- Be a bridge between company strategy and Engineering.
- Ensure that your teams and their work are well aligned to company goals.
- Ensure your teams have the resources and people needed to complete the work they are responsible for.
- Ensure all the work that needs to get done across product/design/engineering is known, and each department is held accountable for their part.
- Partner with Product and other cross functional team leaders to ensure delivery against goals.
- Keep the team moving along in project planning.
- Continuously ensure that your teams are set-up for success, while proactively communicating improvement plans and outcomes to executive leadership as needed.
- Support your engineers in their growth and partner with you tech lead(s) to find opportunities that help them work toward their goals.
- Shield your teams from extraneous work that aren’t a part of their primary focus.
- Help your team use their time efficiently and avoid meandering, unnecessary or confusing conversations.
- Identify gaps in process in order to find the right place for requests if they are not with your teams.
- Share feedback promptly, both positive and constructive.
- Be a leader in the details of our Engineering organization to include:
- Department-wide planning, retrospectives and team organizationIndividual growth plans, technology change rollout and reporting
- Tracking and reporting on the performance of your Engineering teams
- Leading projects to improve Engineering processes and practices
- Proactively advocating for resources (including tools and headcount)
- Helping drive the evolution of our people, process and culture
We think the best candidates will:
- Have experience managing Engineering teams at multiple organizations. This experience allows you to operate with empathy while holding your people and teams accountable with regards to performance and feedback.
- Be able to understand architecture and systems and discuss trade-offs on system design based on past experience.
- Have atleast one area where you would enjoy expressing yourself technically. That passion shows through your ability to connect with and manage direct reports at the individual contributor level.
- Have an understanding that quality, execution and delivery is Engineering’s responsibility, but so too is ensuring the business impacts of the investments we make. This means you know:How to translate and express highly technical projects by their measurable business impacts.
- Know how to leverage data to show impact and drive for the creation of data/metrics when none exists.
- Have an understanding that foundational work and paying down technical-debt are things that require continuous investment.
- Know how to create space for your teams to do their best work, including space to make mistakes and carry out experiments.
- Enjoy leading and learning in a fast-moving, fast-changing workplace and can strike the right balance between stability and flexibility.
- Be comfortable working east coast hours the majority of their working days.
We’re all about adventure here @ The Wanderlust Group, but we also want you to know what to expect on your journey with us, starting with the application phase through the interview process:
- Interview Process Step 1: 30-45 minute Zoom Intro call with a member of our VP of Engineering
- Interview Process Step 2: A relevant (and hopefully FUN!) change management prompt to respond to on your own time
- Interview Process Step 3: 45-60min Zoom Meeting(s) “Team Loops” where you will have discussions with members of our Technology and Leadership team
- Interview Process Step 4: 30-60min Zoom Meeting(s) / Final Round where you will have 1:1 discussions with the VP of Engineering or other members of the Leadership team
Please check out the following resources to learn more about us:
TWG is at a place in our growth trajectory that makes it a very exciting time to join. We are a true disruptor in our space without having to also be a destructive force to an already established industry. Our speed to market combined with our ability to grow sustainably is the only thing holding us back. This is a tremendous opportunity for an Engineering Leader to express their leadership in an environment that welcomes their ideas and values their unique perspective.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $175,000-$215,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location.
The Wanderlust Group is a unique company and culture. A hybrid B2B and B2C business, we connect boaters to marinas. Because we believe in the value of putting screens down and getting outside, we operate on a "Modern Day Work Week" and don’t cap vacation time. That means we commit to our teams Tuesday through Friday, and Mondays are a day of preparation and are used at your discretion.
We also care a lot about the marinas we serve. They are often small businesses playing an important role in the local economy around them. That dedication carries through our work. Finally, because we are wanderers at heart, we are a remote-first company. This, and all positions, can be based anywhere in the United States.