Director of Information Security
Austin, TX /
Corp Admin /
The Zebra is seeking a self-driven Director of Information Security who is passionate about providing the vision and leadership to enable the business by clearing security obstacles that stand in the way of core business objectives. The primary role of this person is to act as the first point of contact for all corporate technology- and product-related security initiatives, issues, and questions.
Our team is passionate about supporting our business and protecting our customers and consumers by providing the right level of security at the right time. The Director of Information Security proactively seeks out pain points within our organization and provides systems, processes and workflows that improve security and strike the right balance between risk and burden.
The Director of Information Security (SDIS) is responsible for establishing and maintaining an information security program to ensure that all information assets and associated technology, applications, systems, infrastructure and processes are adequately protected and compliant with all internal and external regulatory schemes within our scope of operations. You will be responsible for enabling the business by identifying, evaluating and reporting on legal, regulatory, IT, privacy, and cybersecurity risk to information assets, while supporting and advancing core business objectives.
Please note - all new hires must be able to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date.
This position is not currently eligible for visa sponsorship
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Drive and enhance the current vision and strategy for the security department.
- Execute on and improve the existing security governance structure and information security / privacy program.
- Create, manage, and measure a targeted information security awareness training program for all employees, contractors and approved system users.
- Understand and interact with key stakeholders to ensure the consistent application of policies and practices across all technology projects, systems and services.
- Work effectively across the business to facilitate information security risk assessment and risk management processes and ensure alignment between security, technical architecture, and coding processes.
- Develop and maintain a document framework of continuously up-to-date information security policies, standards and guidelines.
- Oversee the approval and publication of the information security policies, processes, and roles and responsibilities across the entire enterprise.
- Build and nurture external networks consisting of industry and peers, partners, vendors and other relevant parties to address common trends, findings, incidents, and cybersecurity risks.
- Liaise with external agencies including government, law enforcement and other advisory and/or regulatory bodies to maintain a strong security posture and stay abreast of emerging threats.
- Create, implement, and manage an incident response plan that is prepared to respond to security incidents, investigations, breaches, and compliance failures.
- Establish partnerships with relevant security vendors to respond to security gaps, investigations,
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of seven years of experience in a combination of risk management, information security, data privacy, and/or cybersecurity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate security, compliance, and risk-related concepts to technical and non-technical audiences at various levels, ranging from board members to technical experts and non-technical stakeholders.
- Up-to-date knowledge of information security risk management and cybersecurity technologies, methodologies, and trends in both business and IT.
- Current experience and knowledge of common compliance schemes, such as: PCI DSS, GLBA, FCRA, CCPA, SOX, SSAE-18, ISO 27001, NIST, CIS CSC, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a proven ability to make decisions and lead through high- pressure, high-stress situations
- Professional security management certification is desirable, such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) or other similar credentials.
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**