Data Scientist - Product
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. The Zebra is highly invested in using Data Science to create the best insurance comparison experience for our users. To support this goal, we are expanding the Data Science team and seeking a mid-level data scientist to help us build data-driven products and personalize across the entire user journey.
As a Data Scientist at The Zebra, you will collaborate cross functionally, working with product managers, engineers, and analysts to identify opportunities and scope new data science projects. You’ll dig into data, build models, and design and analyze experiments to create the maximum impact for the business. You’ll work with software engineers to write production code and deploy models. As part of a small and highly autonomous team, you will have the unique opportunity to help define the data science process and Data Science team culture as a whole. You will be supported by a modern, stable data platform and a mature engineering culture.
We are looking for a curious, practical generalist who can be involved in the data science process from end to end, from building and deploying machine learning models to presenting results to company stakeholders. Our ideal candidate is adaptable and resourceful - someone who understands that real data and problems are messy and cares more about making an impact than using the most cutting edge methods. Good product sense and an aptitude for framing and answering questions analytically is key in this role.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Build algorithms to optimize the user experience within our product (e.g. recommending coverage, ranking insurance quotes, personalized education)
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, engineers, and researchers to design and develop solutions that can successfully integrate with our product
- Analyze product data, design experiments, and drive the collection and integration of new data sources
- Write maintainable, clean model code to deploy models using best practices from software engineering
- Translate complex analytical results into insights to drive product development, and communicate them throughout the organization
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2-5+ years experience as a data scientist, data analyst, software engineer or other adjacent roles (role level flexible commensurate with experience)
- Solid mathematical foundation and knowledge of a variety of ML and statistical methods (e.g. regression, classification, clustering, experimental design)
- Strong proficiency in SQL and either Python or R
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, or equivalent experience
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience with modern software engineering workflows and best practices (e.g. writing production code, Agile, Git, Amazon Web Services)
- Experience as a data scientist or analyst in a product driven ecommerce company and collaborating with Product Managers
- Familiarity with research design / experimental methods (i.e. solid understanding of confounding, sources of bias in data, methods to infer causality, etc.)
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**