Senior Data Scientist
Austin, TX /
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. The Zebra is highly invested in using Data Science to create the best insurance comparison experience for our users. To support this goal, we are expanding the Data Science team and seeking a Data Scientist to help us build data-driven products and increase operational efficiency.
As a Data Scientist at The Zebra, you will collaborate cross functionally, working with product managers, engineers, and marketers to identify opportunities and scope new data science projects. You’ll dig into data, build models, and design and analyze experiments to create the maximum impact for the business. You’ll work with software engineers to write production code and deploy models. As part of a small and highly autonomous team, you will have the unique opportunity to help define the data science process and Data Science team culture as a whole. You will be supported by a modern, stable data platform and a mature engineering culture.
We are looking for a curious, practical generalist who can be involved in the data science process from end to end, from building and deploying machine learning models to presenting results to company stakeholders. Our ideal candidate is adaptable and resourceful - someone who understands that real data and problems are messy and cares more about making an impact than using the most cutting edge methods. Good product sense and an aptitude for framing and answering questions analytically is key in this role.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Build models to optimize and automate marketing acquisition efforts (i.e. bidding algorithms)
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and business stakeholders to design and develop solutions that can successfully integrate with our business
- Become a technical leader on the team and mentor more junior data scientists
- Write maintainable, clean model code to deploy models using best practices from software engineering
- Translate complex analytical results into insights, and communicate them throughout the organization
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years experience as a data scientist
- Solid mathematical foundation and knowledge of a variety of ML and statistical methods (e.g. regression, classification, clustering, experimental design)
- Strong proficiency in SQL and Python
- Familiarity with writing production code and modern software engineering best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, or equivalent experience
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience as a data scientist in a product driven B2C startup
- Experience applying data science to marketing use cases (automated bidding, attribution, etc.)
- Familiarity with research design / experimental methods (i.e. solid understanding of confounding, sources of bias in data, methods to infer causality, etc.)
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**