Austin, TX /
Finance & Admin /
The Zebra is looking for a Payroll Specialist to join our Human Resources / People Team to own and manage the payroll process from start to finish. The ideal candidate has a strong knowledge of tax and wage laws and common fiscal procedures is necessary, along with excellent communication skills and computer literacy. This role will primarily responsible for processing payroll and maintaining the employee database regarding salary and pay. Other duties include cooperating with different departments to increase payroll service performance and improve upon the payroll system.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Implement, maintain, and review payroll processing to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and deductions
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates
- Prepare and maintain accurate records and reports of payroll transactions, including maintaining data in the Human Resources Information System(s)
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices
- Facilitate audits by running routine payroll reportsPartner with Accounting to manage organization budget and expenses
- Address and resolve employee complaints relating to the payroll system and/or paycheck issues
- Work on any ah-hoc payroll audits and projects that arise
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1-3 years of experience working in Payroll/HR Operations
- Proven experience in a payroll position in a fast-paced environment required
- Working knowledge of HR functions and procedures (e.g. pay and benefits, recruitment, training, and development)
- Have solid communication skills (both verbal and written) and compassionate nature
- Basic knowledge of tax and wage laws
- Good understanding of the common fiscal proceduresStrong computer literacy, preferably with Excel wizardry
- Exceptional multitasking and organizational skills with high attention to details
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience in working with Paylocity is a plus
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**