Senior Software Engineer - Homeowners Team
The Zebra is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to expand our growing team. This person will need to be comfortable working both on experimental, rapid-prototyping projects and building long-term sustainable, scalable solutions. Our software engineers play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple and elegant solutions.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Design and develop new services to expand The Zebra’s offerings into new lines of insurance such as Homeowner’s, Renters, Boat & RV, etc
- Support new and existing integrations with a broad mix of internal and external services to optimize user experience, business value and site reliability
- Work closely with other engineers, designers and Engineering Leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
- Act as a technical leader for the team and grow the other engineers through example and mentorship
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Eager to take ownership of work, including collaboration with stakeholders and developers through the product development lifecycle
- Experience designing and building tools to move work from developers to business stakeholders or designing and building microservices or the equivalent.
- Track record of delivering quality code (note good, not perfect) in a timely fashion
- A willingness to offer opinions and question assumptions
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience working in consumer-facing web products, growth-phase startups and/or using A/B testing and data to drive product decisions
- Experience with Python, Django, AWS, React, microservice architectures and web API design
- Experience in the insurance industry
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**