Senior Data Scientist
The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our Data team. We're looking for someone with sharp mathematical chops, lots of experience, and great mentorship skills to build upon and grow our data efforts.
The Zebra is seeking a Senior Data Scientist for our dynamic start-up! This person will be responsible for performing statistical data analysis, helping ensure data quality, and finding areas where we can harness our data to improve our product. You will immediately contribute to our goal of leveraging our rich datasets to make smarter business decisions. You should have a strong scientific background in statistics, optimization, and machine learning, be very curious, and have a focus on seeing and implementing the results of your analysis. You will have a great deal of ownership and broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
What You'll Do:
- Help guide the creation of the Data Science practice at The Zebra
- Develop and test data solutions using predictive modeling and machine learning techniques
- Be involved in the problem definition, data acquisition, and deploying of various models and iterate on solutions
- Provide guidance across The Zebra's business on how best to utilize data for business decision-making
- Work with large amounts of data to identify opportunities that would help improve the user experience that The Zebra provides
- Mentor more junior data scientists
- Work closely with engineers, designers and Engineering Leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy new features and products and maintain a high level of scientific rigor
Our Match Made In Heaven:
- 5+ years of professional (or comparable) data science experience
- Proven experience with machine learning techniques / statistical modeling, especially on large scale datasets
- Ability to work independently to get a project from inception to implementation, including validating and testing models
- Strong programming skills in large-scale data analysis using Python, R, Java or related languages
- Experience with machine learning frameworks, such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Theano, Keras, MLlib
- Experience with relational databases
- Ability to quickly understand patterns within large quantities of data
- Ability to collaborate effectively with engineers, product managers, analysts, and business stakeholders
- Degree in a quantitative field
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out of Us:
- Experience with distributed machine learning frameworks, like Spark, etc.
- Graduate degree in a quantitative field
- Experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- A Github profile or public code / analysis portfolio
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative, and engaged people
- Stock options
- Monthly home maid service
- Wellness perk
- Work / Life Balance
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.