Associate Product Designer
The Zebra is expanding our design team and we’re seeking an Associate Product Designer to help us craft a world-class insurance buying experience. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about creating useful and beautifully designed products (both interactions and visuals). As an Associate Product Designer, you're learning. You bring in some skills but you require and seek input from other designers in your team and your manager to be effective. We are looking for someone with willingness to learn, can-do attitude, and adaptability.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work on various end-to-end design tasks, including whiteboarding, wireframing, user flows, and high fidelity mockups and prototypes
- Work closely with our UX Research team to ensure that users lead the way. Our users inform us where we are going, so we focus on listening and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions.
- Work with small multi-disciplinary teams. You’ll partner closely with other designers, engineers, researchers, UX writers, product managers, business, and insurance experts to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges.
- Be autonomous. You’ll take ownership of your work and responsibility for every last detail.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes, knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail and when to create low-fi sketches and prototypes.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Possesses a passion for building beautiful, world class mobile & web applications and a portfolio that showcases this (this is required).
- Ability to receive and apply feedback, willingness to learn, can-do attitude, and adaptability.
- Experience designing consumer-focused products for both mobile and desktop.
- Understands what it takes to create beautiful and usable experiences.
- Great communicator. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have an aptitude for translating and documenting design ideas into visuals that can be shared with all parts of the business.
- You have a people-focused design mentality. Even though you have incredible chops, you are constantly looking to hone your design instinct by working with our researchers to understand our users.
- Proficient with a variety of design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite and Principle.
- Understanding of HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Excellent sense of color, product, and brand continuity.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to ask the right questions throughout the design process.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience with design sprints.
- Experience designing for insurance or financial products.
- Drawing skills and an ability to visualize a range of design solutions quickly.
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**