Director of Product - Data
Austin, TX /
Analytics / Data /
As the Director of Product - Data, you will influence our data product strategy, manage a high performing team of product managers, and collaborate with cross-functional Product & Business teams, creating scalable and innovative data products. You will drive vision and prioritization to meet the data needs of internal business users, our customers on the site, and our insurance carriers. You will drive alignment and help leverage Data Science throughout our product and business.
Please note - all new hires must be able to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date
This position is not currently eligible for visa sponsorship
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Define product vision, strategy & roadmap to unlock value in data throughout our product
- Lead a high performing team of Data Product Managers [Data Platform, Analytics, Data Science] - responsible for hiring, mentorship, and career development
- Identify market trends & new business opportunities; stay up to date on Data & Data Science product landscapes ensuring we remain at the forefront of tech
- Define, analyze and report KPIs that inform the success of internal and external data products (both problem areas & opportunities)
- Stakeholder Management: Keep CDO & business stakeholders up to date on data/data science process and progress
- Data Product Evangelism: Represent the business and promote The Zebra as a data-driven product/company by advocating for data’s value and benefits at executive briefings, events, online consumer platforms, and so forth.
- Cross Departmental Collaboration - Collaborate with VP Product to ensure Data Product Management is embedded within our Product orgs roadmap and planning processes & has consistent framework/processes
- Alignment with Business Strategy: Ensure that the data product management team is effectively translating the product & business needs into data requirements and driving consensus on prioritization within the data organization
- Be the decision maker on final prioritization with alignment towards business OKRs // communicate these decisions out
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 6+ years of experience in product management, product development, and/or related fields in the context of data and technology development
- 3+ years of experience successfully managing, mentoring, and growing a team of product managers
- Experience leveraging data science to build data products (B2C)
- Communication Skills: You are able to communicate across many different teams, soliciting requirements both internally and externally. Ability to both clearly communicate with the technical teams and present at the executive level.
- Analytical Skills: You can translate internal and external data needs into clear data requirements and success metrics, and coach product managers on the team to do the same
- Leadership: You have the ability to partner with other departmental leaders, represent your team across the company, and mentor and lead a team of product managers.
- People Skills: Team player! You are highly collaborative and comfortable dealing with many stakeholders. Demonstrated ability leading product teams that partner effectively with engineering, UX, stakeholders & customers
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Startup experience
- Background in a web-based fintech or insuretech marketplace
- A/B Testing experience
- Experience delivering B2C Data Science/Analytics Products
- Experience delivering B2B Analytics Products
- Experience with modern data stack: Snowflake, DBT, Looker, Fivetran
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**