VP of Content & Communications
Austin, TX or New York, NY
The Zebra is seeking a cutting-edge marketing leader and storyteller to help elevate The Zebra brand and drive growth as our VP of Content & Communications. This position can be based remotely.
As The Zebra’s VP of Content & Communications, you’ll be responsible for designing and leading our cross-channel content and brand communications strategy. You’ll lead the creation and distribution of engaging content and consumer messaging which will help to amplify The Zebra brand, drive traffic, and build community. You understand what it means to build a brand in today’s noisy world, and how to create brand attachment with consumers. It’s only natural for you to dream-up a catchy tagline or visualize a creative concept that can draw attention. Anything expected or obvious is boring to you. You have a knack for knowing how to position something in order to stand out from the crowd or to effectively tell a story.
What You'll Do:
Build and lead the team
- Build, lead, and mentor The Zebra’s new content and communications team
- Develop a long-term vision and strategy for growing The Zebra’s brand awareness and engagement
- Oversee content creation, copywriting, communications, social, and PR teams
- Oversee content distribution, partnering closely with other key stakeholders on media optimization
- Develop a deep understanding of the insurance industry, including internal and external forces that will continually shape our brand positioning and content strategy
- Help define and drive company strategy as a member of The Zebra’s leadership team
Oversee content programs
- Design and execute a content strategy that drives organic traffic growth, creates brand awareness, and builds community
- Build, lead, and mentor a team of skilled writers that will manage all content programs and provide support for broader company or product copywriting needs
- Build a content distribution/syndication network that will extend the reach and impact of content
- Work alongside SEO to accelerate growth and improve quality of search content
- Oversee research and thought leadership content strategies
- Manage a distinctive brand voice, tone, and overall perception
- Work alongside design and creative resources to support content programs with creative assets
- Champion brand guidelines to ensure products, content, and communications are on-brand, aligning with our values and consistently reflecting the approved visual identity and voice
- Integrate with other business and product teams to infuse more creativity, helping to ideate on disruptive concepts that align with our brand guidelines
- Act as a steward of the brand and ensure nothing damages it in the eyes of consumers or insurance carriers
- Create memorable campaigns for media and omni-channel brand marketing programs
- Help to develop a lifecycle and e-mail marketing strategy that increases existing user engagement and lifetime value, creating loyal champions of the brand
- Build and engage a following of The Zebra brand through social media channels
Strengthen brand awareness
- Design and execute creative brand marketing and PR campaigns to elevate The Zebra’s image and brand perception
- Oversee all external communications, brand sponsorship opportunities, influencer marketing, and media relations
- Increase brand engagement by helping to lead an organic social media strategy that cuts through the noise
- Strengthen brand positioning as a thought leader within the insurance industry and as the de facto insurance solution for consumers
- Increase organic traffic and consumer brand loyalty to drive growth and increase revenue
- Advise leadership on how to uniquely position and tell The Zebra story to different audiences
Our match made in Heaven:
- 8+ years experience in consumer content marketing and public relations
- 5+ years in a leadership role as a Senior Director, VP, or comparable position
- Exceptional creative skills and expert storyteller
- Experience with direct-line management over content production, communications, or similar roles
- Deep understanding of SEO
- Experience building process and structure that supports a unified brand message and identity
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills to motivate team members and drive alignment to the overall content and communications strategy
- Experience managing external creative and PR agencies
- A passion for landing earned media by shaping stories that uplift a brand and resonate with consumers
- Results-oriented and impact-driven leadership qualities
- Obsessive attention to detail
- Fear of obscurity and the status quo
- Startup experience (particularly with a web-based consumer marketplace)
- Strong relationships with consumer press
- Experience with TV and offline brand campaigns
- Direct response/performance marketing experience
- Public speaking experience (evangelizing a brand externally)
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Wellness perk or monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**