Director of Marketing Design
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We’re a big-thinking, design-focused and purpose-driven company looking for a Director of Marketing Design who is as passionate about creativity and results as we are. Reporting directly to the VP of Design, you will play an essential role in the creative, communications, product and content departments. Our ideal candidate is a visionary and leader who has spot-on professional judgement to take our creative to the next level.
This person will also need to be a strategic, supportive people manager to oversee and mentor our visual designers, illustrators, and animators, ensuring they have the support they need to do extraordinary work and create conditions where expressive and impactful design can thrive.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Direct and oversee creative efforts (creative thinking, copywriting and art direction) for The Zebra marketing and brand including ad campaigns (TV, digital, video, social, etc.), websites, email campaigns, and podcast advertising, just to name a few. You’ll need to be a proactive creative thinker, generating new and interesting ideas to take our brand to the next level. We’re looking for someone with experience creating fun, unexpected ideas that earn attention. Ideas that are inherently social, lean into culture in a smart way and most importantly are so creative that they don't rely on paid media to get noticed.
You’ll work and collaborate with other marketing teams to create integrated content across all channels from digital, social media, SEO, and paid media, ensuring consistency across branding, tone and voice, as well as integrating with other business and product teams to infuse more creativity, helping to ideate on disruptive concepts that align with our brand guidelines.
Understand what creative concept will play well in the market. Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables effectively address goals and challenges. Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling materials and experiences.
Prioritize work and resources based on short- and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with designers, copywriters and production departments. Maximize the talents of The Zebra creative team by being a coach and a critic all at once.
- Results-oriented: You can handle conflict with maturity and calm, bring diplomacy and empathy to tough discussions, and set the bar for what effective and positive collaboration looks like across disciplines
- Inspiring and supportive: You can nurture a strong sense of community and purpose on the team, rally the troops, and inspire passion and great work.
- Persuasive: You can be an articulate, thoughtful advocate for the brand, and an ambassador for The Zebra in the larger creative community.
- Wise and reasonable: You’re recognized for your sound judgment, and you’re able to give valuable feedback and practice servant leadership for your team.
OUR MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN:
- 10 years of related experience with 7+ years of creative direction in agency or start-up setting
- Experience managing a team
- An expert in all facets of the creative process — and the creative industry — in order to produce the best work
- An intimate understanding of design, copy and web best practices/guidelines
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- A strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts
- Strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Award winning portfolio
- Insurance industry-specific knowledge, as well as deep familiarity with emerging/relevant digital technology and social/media channels
- Expert in both copywriting and art direction
- Highly skilled with directing a team of creative talent
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**