Software Engineer II
The Zebra is seeking a Software Engineer to work across all areas of the business on product optimization, urgent and critical investigation and fixes, and to support our current partner integrations. This is a high exposure, fast-paced role and will be pivotal in driving quick wins that ensure the business as a whole runs smoothly.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success. When we're not working you can find us on a trip to find lunch at a nearby food truck, or playing ping pong in the break room.
What You'll Do:
- Focus on small business and user optimizations, partner integration set up and support, issue investigations, and bug fixes
- Work closely with other engineers, product managers and stakeholders to investigate, fix, optimize, test and deploy high quality solutions
- Work on larger tech initiatives geared toward improving and scaling our existing products and tools
Our Match Made In Heaven:
- 3+ years of professional programming experience
- A real passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- Exceptional and proven web development experience
- Proficiency with at least one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, C#, Go
- Experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Comfort with Linux/Unix command line
- A desire to follow and advocate exceptional software engineering processes (including test-driven development)
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out of Us:
- Python experience
- Django experience
- Experience with unit testing and TDD
- Advanced degree in Computer Science
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Wellness perk or monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**