Data Engineer II
The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops, lots of experience, and great mentorship skills to build upon and grow our existing engineering efforts.
The Zebra is seeking a Data Engineer II for our dynamic start-up! This person will be responsible for helping us collect, connect, centralize, and curate our data. You will immediately contribute to our goal of leveraging our rich datasets to make smarter business decisions. You should love releasing well-tested code multiple times a day, be ready to take ownership and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
What You'll Do:
- Design and build ETL processes and connectors (using Python, AWS, and Snowflake) to integrate internal and external data sources into the The Zebra’s data warehouse
- Build data solutions to support the analytics needs of the business
- Have a significant role in the design and development of a reliable, fast and scalable data platform
- Work closely with other engineers, designers and Engineering Leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
Our Match Made In Heaven:
- 3+ years of professional (or comparable) programming experience
- Experience with Python, Java, Scala
- Experience with relational databases
- Strong attention to detail
- A passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to follow exceptional software engineering processes
- Comfort with the Unix/Linux command line
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out Of Us:
- Experience with Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Experience building large-scale, distributed, high-volume systems
- Experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Monthly home maid service
- Feel good perk (for legal things that make you feel good!)
- Work hard / Play hard culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.