Product Design Manager
Austin, TX /
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. The product design team's vision is to make buying insurance enjoyable and simple through exceptional design. We’re looking for a Product Design Manager to lead and build an amazing team of designers, provide direction and guidance, define best practices for the design process and partner cross-functionally. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong design background, who's moved into management to mentor and provide career development, ultimately creating a space for designers to do their best work with their product teams.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Effectively develop and manage your team’s growth and performance by setting clear and high expectations, to empower your team to create user-focused and forward thinking work everyday.
- Create structure and instill process that optimizes the teams performance and impact, creating transparency across projects, and increasing efficiency & simplicity within the organization.
- Lead meetings and facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, and decision making for designers and maintain a healthy feedback culture.
- Seek out opportunities beyond Product Design to increase efficiency & simplicity within the organization and successfully drive change through self and others.
- Raise the bar on design quality (never satisfied with status quo), challenging your team to create innovative and impactful work.
- Balance big-picture thinking with an iterative approach to continuously deliver improvements for our users.
- Use quantitative and qualitative data to understand, measure, and communicate the business value of UX design and to drive design decisions.
- Partner with our UX Research team to ensure that users lead the way. Our users inform where we are going, so we focus on listening to users combined with qualitative data to lead us to the best strategies and solutions.
- Manage design execution and its partnership with product management, engineering, research and data.
- Actively build out and retain a strong team of diverse design talent, optimizing the hiring and onboarding process.
- Roll up your sleeves and contribute as a designer when necessary. We are a startup after all.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 2+ years in a people management role on a Design team and 7+ years of practicing consumer-facing design experience.
- Exceptional portfolio demonstrating a strong design background.
- Proven track record of building, and developing design teams that ship great experiences. Understands best practices around inclusion and equity as well as recruiting, coaching, and motivating a team.
- Possess a people-focused design mentality, a strong sense of product and brand continuity, a keen awareness of current and emerging design trends, and a passion for accessibility best practices
- Strong design technical skills. You’re proficient and able to mentor on a variety of design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Figma, InVision, Adobe Creative Suite and Principle and have an understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Great communicator. You have the communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial designs. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make strategy come to life.
- Thoughtful cross-functional partner. You have the ability to ask the right questions throughout a project’s lifecycle and look for opportunities to improve working relationships and processes.
- A strong aesthetic sense and the ability to bring brand into product experiences.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient. You have the ability to find creative solutions and build something from scratch
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high growth and at times ambiguous environment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience designing for insurance or financial products.
- Experience with customer satisfaction metrics (NPS, CSAT, CES, etc.).
- Experience designing for both, B2C and B2B.
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**