Senior Engineering Manager, Data Team
The Zebra is seeking a Senior Engineering Manager for our data team! This person will own execution and process for their teams, ensuring expectations are set and deliverables are met. They will assist with hiring and be responsible for the technical and career growth of individual engineers.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
What You'll Do:
- Manage delivery of technical solutions for Data Engineering and Data Science
- Support the data-driven culture within the company and lead the discussion on how data is used
- Represent the needs and priorities of the Data team to product managers and other stakeholders
- Help the team balance short-term and long-term development projects
- Foster a culture of building technical wealth and reducing technical debt
- Facilitate collaboration with other teams throughout the company, designing new processes when needed
- Identify gaps and issues with our data
- Attract and hire new data engineers and data scientists to join our growing team
- Set and monitor performance goals for teams and individuals, providing feedback through reviews, one-on-ones, and in day-to-day discussions
- Evaluate and manage relationships with 3rd party vendors
Our Match Made in Heaven:
- 5+ years experience leading and directly managing engineering teams and delivering business solutions
- Passionate about building and coaching high-performing engineering teams
- Organized and excited about creating and optimizing engineering processes
- Track record of developing employees both technically and professionally
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to bring people together to create an empowering and exciting work environment
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out of Us:
- Experience with data warehouse technologies such as Snowflake and Alooma
- Experience with BI platforms, e.g. Looker, Tableau, Periscope
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Experience identifying and building business KPI metrics
- Experience in the consumer web analytics domain
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Wellness perk or monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**