As the PR Specialist, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a thriving in-house PR team at the nation’s leading insurance comparison site. We’re empowering consumers to choose what’s best for them and telling an array of fascinating stories to the media in the process (check out TheZebra.com/press to see what we mean!). We’re looking for an eager, smart and poised PR pro to serve as an ambassador for our company and tell creative, data-driven and brand/product-driven stories that result in quality media coverage. This role will report to the Director of PR and Communications.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Create and implement PR campaigns highlighting our data-driven reports and proprietary data
- Think creatively about how to drive coverage for the company and brand as a whole (How can we get our cofounder on the cover of Forbes?)
- Become embedded in the media landscape daily and make recommendations on how to jump into real-time news opportunities
- Form relationships with key media members to educate and inform them about the company’s differentiator, products, and research assets
- Create and manage an earned influencer program
- Draft media materials including press releases, pitches, and briefing documents
- Coordinate industry and press events, speaking engagements, and company award entries
- Drive our brand (“Insurance in black and white”) and adhere to our core values and commitment to consumer advocacy in all messaging and PR activities
- Work with thought leadership, social media, design, and other teams to create cohesive messages and effective campaigns
- Own coverage metrics and reporting with a keen eye for detail and ability to generate accurate, quality coverage reporting at a moment’s notice
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Minimum of 3 years experience in B2C public relations (agency experience preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel quarterly within the U.S.
- Exceptional multi-tasking, problem solving and time management skills
- A team player with an optimistic attitude. It’s PR...not ER! We want to work with someone who knows how to focus and not sweat the small stuff
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- A track record of earned placement in top-tier or industry-relevant media, especially in the tech, insurance and/or personal finance spaces
- A resourceful and inquisitive nature, gumption, and a willingness to try and fail (and then try something else)
- Understanding of social media, trending news topics, and popular media outlets
- Zealous attention to detail and accuracy
- Creative thinker with an understanding of how to make those big ideas happen...or at least where to start
- Experience having direct conversations with media on behalf of a company or client, either in person or on calls
- Experience working and communicating with CEOs and other executives
- Knowledge with Cision, Meltwater, Critical Mention and/or Sysomos platforms
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive compensation & stock option offering
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Unlimited PTO, Generous Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office)
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016 and Inc. Magazine recently named The Zebra as a Top Workplace for 2019!
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**