The Zebra is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops, lots of experience, and an intense desire to learn skills to build upon and grow our existing engineering efforts.
As a DevOps Engineer, you will support our Infrastructure team in helping us enhance and scale our infrastructure. You will also play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple, and elegant solutions. You should be ready to take ownership and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions-- and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work with new technology to build a flexible hosting & development platform
- Maintain and scale The Zebra's infrastructure, build, release and production systems
- Mentor product developers about the best ways to code for platform stability, scalability, reliability, and security
- Write automated tools to improve the developer experience
- Work with the engineering team to maintain uptime, and quickly diagnose and remedy production issues
- Share on-call responsibilities
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Extensive experience with building and supporting Docker and Kubernetes in production
- Understand AWS (Amazon Web Services) and be able to jump right into our environment
- Able to code in Python
- Be able to build, and support web infrastructure and understand how to keep it running, secure, and maintainable
- Excellent troubleshooting skills across application, database, and cloud infrastructure
- Self-motivated, and looking to work in an energetic, fast-paced environment
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, or Gitlab
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Proficiency with SQL and NoSQL data stores, such as Postgres and MongoDB
- Experience achieving SOC 2 compliance
- Cloudflare experience
- Experience with Datadog
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**