Software Engineer II
The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops and experience to grow our existing engineering efforts.
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for contributing to all layers of our software platforms across the web and mobile. You will immediately contribute to critical components, inventing novel solutions to challenging problems. You should love releasing well-tested code, be ready to take ownership and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
What You'll Do:
- Assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of The Zebra comparison product and other products using Python, Django and other modern technologies
- Work closely with other engineers, designers and Engineering Leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
- Improve and scale the existing products and tools
Our Match Made In Heaven:
- 3+ years of professional programming experience
- Exceptional and proven web development experience
- Experience in full-stack development from spec/concept to UI implementation and back-end development
- Experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- A real passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to follow and advocate exceptional software engineering processes (including test-driven development)
- Comfort with Linux/Unix command line
- Proficiency with at least one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, C#, Go
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out of Us:
- Python experience
- Django experience
- Experience with unit testing and TDD
- Advanced degree in Computer Science
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.