Engineering Manager - Platform
Austin, TX /
The Zebra is seeking an Engineering Manager to kick off a new Platform team! This person will own execution and process for their team, ensuring expectations are set and deliverables are met. They will assist with hiring and are responsible for the technical and career growth of individual engineers.
Our Platform will own building and maintaining centralized services that power our product focused engineering teams. This team will ensure consistency and governance over areas like user data, authentication, payment services, and more, as we grow and scale our department.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Manage the development and delivery of technical solutions
- Maintain a deep understanding of engineering/product/business needs and priorities, and work with product management and other stakeholders to ensure your team has a clear vision
- Balance priorities to ensure the team effectively completes long term efforts while resolving defects and managing technical debt
- Lead projects and advocate for high-quality code
- Identify opportunities to improve the development process
- Assist in recruiting and hiring processes
- Set and monitor performance goals for teams and individuals, providing feedback through reviews, one-on-one’s, and in day-to-day discussions
- Ensure engineering is always adding business value; clearly communicating business goals to engineering teams, as well as technical solutions to stakeholders
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3+ years experience leading and directly managing engineering teams, and delivering business solutions
- Passionate about building and coaching high-performing engineering teams
- Organized and excited about creating and optimizing engineering processes to set teams up for success
- Track record of developing employees both technically and professionally
- Proven success recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding new developers
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to bring people together to create an empowering and exciting work environment
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Experience working on a consumer-facing website
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**