Data Product Manager
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We’re a purpose-driven company looking for a Data Product Manager to democratize data across the company. You’ll work with stakeholders and engineers to translate business goals into creative technical solutions. Your expertise will enable the data team to build high-quality features for strategic initiatives and will empower the business to better understand users, products, and financials.
What You'll Do:
- Build consensus to establish a shared vision and strategy for the data & data science team
- Translate that vision and strategy into your roadmap and prioritize features for highest impact and fastest time-to-market
- Develop an expert level understanding of our data to drive solutions that will result in business optimization
- Drive the definition of our master data to ensure consistency
- Work closely with stakeholders, engineering, and QA teams to enable an efficient, collaborative, and high-quality product development process
- Anticipate potential issues, necessary points of integration, and needs beyond the basic product requirements (E.g., proactively advocate for larger technical solutions vs. one-off solutions when appropriate)
- Provide thorough, actionable specs, define user stories and requirements, and think through edge cases to help the engineering team deliver high quality features
- Remove roadblocks for the engineering team quickly, addressing all questions and needs for on-time delivery
- Acceptance test features to ensure they meet business requirements and fit within the product vision
- Become an expert in how our products and components interact with each other
- Advise stakeholders on how to best leverage analytics tools
Our Match Made in Heaven:
- 5+ years professional experience working with business-focused stakeholders and planning the work of software developers on data & analytics related projects for B2C digital companies
- Experience in creating, defining, and implementing a data/digital analytics strategy
- Technical understanding of all aspects of software development, recognizing the business value of fixing technical debt and creating good automated testing
- Proficient in big data infrastructures and advanced analytics technologies
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills to drive cross-department alignment to the overall strategy
- Organized and self-managed, creating processes and implementing measures of success
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, able to find creative solutions and build something from scratch
- Knowledgeable about all things data – exploration, modeling, analysis, ecosystems, data science, optimization, and infrastructure
- Motivated to become an expert in their product area in order to best serve business needs and create effective solutions
Experience That Would Truly Impress Us:
- Startup experience
- A background in insurance or financial services industries
- Experience working with a data team for a web-based fintech or insuretech marketplace
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Wellness perk or Monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**