Quality Engineer - Data Team
The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our Quality Engineering team. We’re looking for someone with a passion for breaking things!
We are seeking a Quality Engineer to work closely with the Data team, helping build confidence in the metrics we’re capturing. Accuracy for reporting on KPI’s is essential for us to successfully navigate our industry’s needs. Key stakeholders depend on this data for decisions across the business, marketing, finance, engineering, product, and commercialization teams.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Examine event schemas looking for potential issues before they hit the reporting layer
- Manage defects and advocate for data quality
- Plan, create, and execute automation of data validation
- Generate and maintain test data and necessary test environments
- Perform investigative testing to assess impact and root cause for issues
- Become an expert in our products and how they function
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Quality engineering experience with complex mobile or web applications and software systems
- Experience with event tracking validation
- Data modeling experience
- Advanced SQL knowledge including performance impact assessment
- Postgres experience including schema creation
- Prior experience with Looker or other data analytics platforms
- Experience with API testing
- Self-starter / demonstrated ability to initiate and drive continuous improvement
- Real passion for testing and quality assurance
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong sense of ownership and pride in the quality of work
- Great communication and collaboration skills
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- ETL validation experience
- Snowflake warehouse exposure
- UI automation experience using JS Selenium
- Knowledge of the insurance industry
- Years of Data testing and validation
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**