The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. The Zebra is expanding our data team and we’re seeking a Data Scientist to help us make better, data-driven decisions across all areas of the business, with a focus on optimizing our marketing strategy.
This is a high impact role on a multidisciplinary team of data scientists, data engineers, and technical analysts. We are looking for a curious, practical data scientist who can be involved in the data science process from end to end, from building and deploying machine learning models to presenting results to company stakeholders.
As a Data Scientist at The Zebra, you will collaborate cross functionally, working with product managers, engineers, analysts, and marketers to identify opportunities and scope new data science projects. You’ll dig into data, build models, and design and analyze experiments to create the maximum impact for the business. As the second data scientist at the company, you will have the unique opportunity to work alongside the Lead Data Scientist to help drive the data science process and DS team culture as a whole.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Collaborate with marketing domain experts to optimize and scale our customer acquisition channels via techniques such as programmatic bidding, media mix modeling, and multi-touch attribution
- Work alongside the rest of the data team in an Agile framework to build and deploy data science models
- Translate complex analytical results into business insights, and communicate them throughout the organization
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1-3 years experience as a data scientist, analyst, software engineer or other adjacent roles
- Solid mathematical foundation and knowledge of a variety of ML and statistical methods (e.g. regression, classification, clustering, experimental design)
- Strong proficiency in SQL and either Python or R
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field, or equivalent experience
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience working with marketing data and digital media ad buying platforms (e.g. customer segmentation, multi-touch attribution, media mix modeling)
- Experience with modern software engineering workflows and best practices (e.g. writing production code, Agile, Git, Amazon Web Services)
- Familiarity with techniques from causal inference and/or econometrics
- MS/PhD in a quantitative field
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $150/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**