Director of Sales & Service
Austin, TX /
Inside Sales /
Austin insurance tech company The Zebra—recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal and one of America's Best Workplaces by Inc. Magazine! — is looking for a Director that will oversee both our sales and customer service front-line managers.
As Director of Sales and Service, you’ll play a key leadership role in developing and executing a strategy that delivers world-class sales and service experiences for The Zebra customers. This role will continue to shape our sales and service strategy and will have substantial interactions with senior leadership. This role reports directly to our VP of Insurance Operations and (post-covid) will sit in our Austin headquarters.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Build & Lead!
- In consultation with the VP of Insurance Operations, you’ll manage and lead The Zebra’s phone agent teams (the Sales Managers and Service Managers will be direct reports)
- Help create and implement an agency culture that is fanatical about creating exceptional experiences for our users
- Become an expert on the customer journey, and help build programs that help support and improve the user experience, conversion and retention rates
- Support and ensure excellent human points of contact between users and customers
- Recruit, train, mentor and retain top talent who will support the agency’s culture and create great customer experiences
- Maximize systems in place and support finding new tools to ensure cutting edge human interactions between The Zebra and users
- Create sales techniques, coaching and rewards to optimize agency conversion and overall monetization
- Support the development of future insurance lines that require the assistance of a sales agent
- Support agency state expansion and assist in the rollout of new carriers
- Build processes to improve post-sale policy fulfillment and customer service experience
- Convert agency customers into life-long fans of The Zebra
- Act as a liaison between the agency team and internal and external partners
- Minimum of 3 years in a leadership role with front-line employees/front-line employee managers
- Minimum of 2 years of insurance sales experience a must (although you do NOT need a P&C license).
- Experience scaling up a sales/service team
- Experience managing a service team a plus!
- A proven track record of recruiting top talent & grooming internal employees
- A strong passion for managing people
- Experience in selecting and migrating to third party tools
- Excellent analytical skills to make data driven decisions
- Proficient knowledge of Excel/Sheets
- Experience managing a performance plan and incentive plan
- Call center experience preferred
- Experience scaling up a sales and service team
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017, and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**