Senior Product Manager - Data Science
Austin, TX /
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We’re a purpose-driven company looking for a Product Manager, Data Science to personalize our product experience and build data driven solutions to optimize our business. This is a high impact role that will define how data science is best leveraged most effectively across our entire product and business. You’ll work with stakeholders, data scientists and engineers to translate business goals into creative technical solutions. Your expertise will enable the Data Science team to build high-quality data products for strategic initiatives, automating key decision points within our product.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Leverage the power of The Zebra’s network of insurance shoppers, carriers and agents to simplify the buying experience and match consumers with the right policy at the right time.
- Build consensus to establish a shared data science vision and strategy across our entire product for the Data Science - Data Products team
- Translate that vision and strategy into your roadmap and prioritize models and features with highest impact and fastest time-to-market
- Define metrics and KPIs we will use to measure the success of the ML models your team builds
- Develop an expert level understanding of our data to drive solutions that will result in increased user engagement, policy sales, and business optimization.
- Work closely with stakeholders, data science, engineering, and QA teams to enable an efficient, collaborative, and high-quality product development process
- Anticipate potential issues, necessary points of integration, and needs beyond the basic product requirements (E.g., proactively advocate for larger technical solutions vs. one-off solutions when appropriate)
- Provide thorough, actionable specs, define user stories and requirements, and think through edge cases to help the data science team deliver high quality products
- Remove roadblocks for the data science team quickly, addressing all questions and needs for on-time delivery
- Acceptance test features to ensure they meet business requirements and fit within the product vision
- Become an expert in how our products and components interact with each other
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3+ years product management experience (B2C consumer facing experience a plus)
- 3+ years professional experience working with business-focused stakeholders and data teams planning the work of data scientists on data & analytics related projects for B2C digital companies.
- Experience in creating, defining, and implementing a data science strategy
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills to drive cross-department alignment to the overall strategy
- Organized and self-managed, creating processes and implementing measures of success
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, able to find creative solutions and build something from scratch
- Understanding of data science and hands on analytical skills (SQL, Data Science tools and workflow)
- Expert understanding of the data science project workflow (research, data exploration and cleaning, model building and training)
- Motivated to become an expert in their product area in order to best serve business needs and create effective solutions
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Startup experience
- A/B Testing Experience
- Data Scientist experience working on a product team
- Proven track record of delivering machine learning models into production
- A background in insurance or financial services industries
- Experience working with a data team for a web-based fintech or insuretech marketplace
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**