Austin, TX /
The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our data team. We're looking for someone with a keen eye for data, excellent communication, documentation, and organization skills and an eagerness to grow to build upon our existing data, data science, and analytics efforts.
The Zebra is seeking a Data Steward for our dynamic, data-focused start-up! This person will be responsible for the management, quality, accuracy, and documentation of our data. As a Data Steward in a fast-growing company, you will immediately contribute to the goal of leveraging our rich datasets to make smarter business decisions by becoming the go-to person for questions about the meaning and availability of our data. You will oversee the lifecycle of datasets, establish data quality metrics and requirements, define the day-to-day operational policies and procedures for working with our data, document data and terminology, and ensure protection and appropriate governance of our data. You will be supported by a modern, stable data platform, a mature engineering culture, an advanced analytics team, and modern data tools and technologies.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Own data quality and data accuracy across the organization
- Develop policies and procedures for collecting and working with our data which ensure data quality and governance
- Establish data quality metrics and requirements
- Ensure timely and open communication about production data issues and fixes and about changes to expected data
- Understand and document end-to-end data flows and identify data dependencies to support product, feature, data, and other development
- Facilitate discussions around the impact of changes to data meaning, naming, grouping, and categorization
- Develop and maintain an enterprise data dictionary
- Establish guidelines and protocols to govern the proliferation of data and to ensure that privacy controls are enforced in all processes
- Educate product managers and developers on the consideration and understanding of data and impact to data early in the product development process
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of hands-on, professional data experience (eg, data steward, data analyst, data engineer, etc)
- Strong experience in data architecture and software engineering
- Experience with SQL and relational databases
- Experience with Data Warehouses such as Snowflake
- Experience with BI platforms such as Looker and Tableau
- Technical expertise in designing and creating data models
- Attention to detail
- A passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- Ability to communicate complex information to non-technical audiences
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Programming experience in Python
- Experience with DBT (Data Build Tool)
- Advanced STEM degree
- Experience with project management within growth-stage companies
- Familiarity with marketing metrics from platforms like Google Adwords, Facebook, or other demand-side platforms
- Proven experience as a Data Steward in a growth stage company
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**