Senior Machine Learning Engineer
Austin, TX /
Analytics / Data /
The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. The Zebra is highly invested in using Data Science to create the best insurance comparison experience for our users. To support this goal, we are expanding our Data Science team and seeking a Senior Machine Learning Engineer to help us build a state of the art platform to build and deploy Data Science products.
As the founding Machine Learning Engineer at The Zebra, you will lead development of our model deployment platform and a plethora of tools to support a team of highly technical data scientists. Reporting to the Sr. Manager of Data Science, the role will have the unique opportunity to help set direction for ML Engineering at The Zebra and the future of our technical infrastructure. This is a hybrid role, utilizing skills from software engineering, devops and data science. Although this is a new discipline for The Zebra, you’ll be supported by the broader engineering organization with a mature engineering culture and a modern tech stack.
We are looking for a curious, practical generalist with a passion for operationalizing machine learning models and enabling data scientists to be as impactful as possible. Our ideal candidate has not only hands-on technical skills and coding experience, but also the aptitude and desire to lead - whether that be evaluating new technology and architecting systems, or collaborating across engineering teams to help us achieve our goal of integrating Data Science throughout The Zebra’s products. The ability to be pragmatic and to balance technical sophistication with the constraints of working in a small (but growing) team is key to the success of this role.
Please note - all new hires must be able to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Expand and improve upon our existing platform to deploy machine learning models as REST APIs for real-time prediction in Python
- Lead the creation of a development platform to enable data scientists to deliver value faster (e.g. remote development environments, automated model training and monitoring, CI/CD for model deployment)
- Serve as the “software engineer in residence” for the data science team, providing code reviews and guidance on the best practices of software design and testing
- Assist the team in acquiring and integrating new data sources
- Collaborate with other engineering teams (e.g. data platform, infrastructure) to identify areas of opportunity and enable data science across the organization
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer or adjacent role
- Practical experience working with data scientists to operationalize machine learning models
- Experience leading large engineering efforts while making a solid individual contribution, understanding where to draw the line between good and perfect
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, such as Python, Ruby, Java, C++, C#, and/or Go
- Strong experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Familiarity with languages and tools within the data science ecosystem (sklearn, pandas, R, Spark)
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Strong proficiency in Python
- Experience as an engineer or data scientist in a product driven B2C startup
- Experience mentoring junior engineers and desire to hire and grow a team
- Exposure to devops tools and concepts such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Gitlab, Datadog, etc.
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**