Senior Security Engineer
The Zebra is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops, lots of experience, and great mentorship skills to build upon and grow our existing engineering efforts.
As a Security Engineer, you will support our Infrastructure team in helping us enhance and scale our infrastructure, build, release and production systems and processes. You will be expected to take the lead on execution and contribute to strategy in all security-related items. You will also play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple, and elegant solutions. You should be ready to take ownership and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
What You'll Do:
- Have a meaningful role in designing, building, and improving systems to secure our cloud-based app and systems
- Assess threats and vulnerabilities, and recommend or implement solutions
- Help the company achieve and adhere to relevant compliance standards and audits
- Mentor, train, and educate other engineers on security best practices
- Improve observability, update cloud monitoring dashboards and tooling
- Maintain uptime, and quickly diagnose and remedy production issues
Our Match Made in Heaven:
- 4+ years of security experience
- 4+ years building and supporting infrastructure, and understanding how to keep it running, secure, and maintainable
- Experience with cloud monitoring tools, such as Datadog
- Strong experience with cloud environments, like AWS and GCP
- Experience with continuous delivery and infrastructure as code
- Strong Linux CLI and scripting (Bash, Python)
- Ability to adapt to a constantly changing technical environment
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out of Us:
- Experience with SOC 2 compliance, PCI compliance or similar
- Experience building and supporting Docker containers and Kubernetes in production
- Experience working closely with SRE or DevOps teams
- Experience identifying suspicious events in corporate or production environments
- Experience building highly available and secure systems at scale.
- Exceptional experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Advocate for exceptional software engineering processes
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Wellness perk or monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**