VMware Operations Engineer - Remote
United States /
Data Center Infrastructure /
AHEAD builds platforms for digital business. By weaving together advances in cloud infrastructure, automation and analytics, and software delivery, we help enterprises deliver on the promise of digital transformation.
AHEAD is committed to a community of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups, and all other candidates who will contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives here at AHEAD.
We are on this journey to ensure that all AHEADians feel that they can authentically show up and belong at work.
As a VMware Operations Engineer, you will support, monitor, and maintain business operations systems to improve daily operations and drive efficiency. The role necessitates a knowledgeable VMware engineer, solid experience in designing, operating and troubleshooting large-scale VMware deployments. This role will require some scripting/automation and Linux operating system management.
- Troubleshooting and triaging of system alerts.
- Work with vendors on service requests and drive resolution.
- Handling day-to-day VMware vSphere operations work.
- Performance analysis of overall system health.
- Datastore management and troubleshooting.
- Network configuration and performance.
- Apply software updates and deploy new systems.
- Work with team to identify and automate VMware operational tasks.
- Assist customers with Linux and Windows guest configurations as needed.
- Disk and Network management.
- Troubleshooting performance or configuration issues.
- Maintain documentation and update periodically.
- Escalate and communicate as per standard operating procedures.
- Perform on-call support (off-hours / weekend rotation) required.
- Knowledge of automation (scripting, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Experience with VMware suite of tools (vCenter, vROPS, vRealize, Orchestrator, etc.)
- Experience with monitoring systems, VSAN, Linux, Windows, ESXI (6.5+), vSphere
- Experience with typical application landscape within an enterprise data center environment.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of business via phone, written communication, and in person.
- Customer service focused
- Team collaboration, responsiveness, ability to multi-task.
- Strong sense of urgency, ability to set priorities and perform the job with little guidance.
- Excellent language/communication skills
- Reporting skills critical.
- Clearly outline/explain solutions in an email form (to team members and end-users) is a must.
- Technical aptitude to be self-taught and learn processes and procedures as needed.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) required.
- 4-year IT-related college degree or equivalent experience.
- VCP and other related training and certification a plus.
Through our daily work and internal groups like Moving Women AHEAD and RISE AHEAD, we value and benefit from diversity of people, ideas, experience, and everything in between.
We fuel growth by stacking our office with top-notch technologies in a multi-million-dollar lab, by encouraging cross department training and development, sponsoring certifications and credentials for continued learning.
We understand that you have a life outside of work. That’s why we offer flexible paid time off, paid company holidays, and the ability for you to manage your work schedule as needed.