Who we are:
Founded in 2013, Thistle is an early-stage food-tech startup empowering our customers to get and stay healthy while improving our food system’s sustainability. We deliver delicious, organic, healthy, plant-forward meals, cold-pressed juices, and snacks to customers on the West Coast at the elusive intersection of convenience, health, and sustainability.
We don’t want to be just another food delivery startup. Our focus is on our customers’ health and happiness, and we are revolutionizing how fresh, nutritious, high-quality food is purchased, manufactured, and delivered at scale. Thistle is headquartered in San Francisco, and we are backed by some amazing investors.
About the Role:
Reporting to the COO, the Controller is a proactive and collaborative business partner for leadership and all departments throughout the Thistle organization, providing full management and oversight of all accounting and budgeting functions. The person in this position is a strong collaborator with multiple cross-functional partners who is well versed in accounting principles, provides strategic analysis, manages all audits (both internal and external), and oversees our accounting team with dynamic, supportive leadership.
Some travel is expected in this role (10% of the time) to our major production facilities in Vacaville, CA, and Burlington, NJ.
We are a registered employer in the following states and welcome candidates to apply who reside in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Arizona, Tennessee, Texas, New York, Florida, Colorado, New Jersey, and Maine.
What you'll do
- Direct, support, and oversee Thistle’s accounting team
- Manage and oversee all accounting systems and platforms, ensuring compliance with GAAP standards and requirements
- Develop and implement consistent accounting policies, practices, controls, and procedures across the organization, ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local standards; remain up to date on new and existing legislation
- Drive the month-end close process ensuring compliance with all requirements and standards
- Develop and monitor internal controls to protect all organizational assets and workflow
- Prepare and complete balance sheet reconciliations and profit and loss statements
- Collaborate with leadership to develop, implement, and drive short and long-term financial strategies
- Provide comprehensive and timely financial updates to leadership by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting on data points that affect organizational growth
What you'll bring
- BS/BA in Accounting, Business, Finance, or another quantitative relevant field required; Master's degree preferred
- 10+ years of proven accounting experience
- 5+ years experience leading strong accounting teams
- CPA required
- At least 3-5 years of experience in managing accounting processes in manufacturing or CPG industries required
- Strong people management skills
- Solid working knowledge of and history with accounting and financial project management
- Ability to explain complex accounting and financial concepts to a variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Positive attitude, strong communication skills, and excellent attention to detail
- Solid understanding of GAAP principles and practices and month-end close processes
- Advanced knowledge of Excel/Google Sheets and familiarity with accounting software such as Quickbooks, Bill.com, Expensify, and Paycom (HRIS)
- Ability to prioritize, self-start, and self-direct work in a high-growth, dynamic environment
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we do our best and most impactful work when we feel we are represented and belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.