Senior Culinary Production Manager
Who We Are:
At Thistle, we prepare nutritious, plant-based meals for people who want a convenient way to eat well. Our customers sign up for recurring subscriptions and we deliver hand-crafted meals up to three times per week. Eating healthy food has never been easier.
About the Role:
The Senior Culinary Production Manager is responsible for overseeing all functions related to Thistle’s culinary production operations, from implementing recipes to handing off finished product to the Fulfillment team. This role also oversees rigorous upkeep of facilities and working spaces for our production facility. We are looking for a process-oriented leader who thrives in a fast paced, dynamic environment, and is willing to actively build and maintain a strong culture of support, cross-functional teamwork, and a quality-first mindset. This is not a desk job - we are a hands on company and are looking for candidates who enjoy getting in the trenches with their team and understanding the challenges they face, identifying opportunities, and working to thoroughly oversee implementation of new practices and initiatives. If you are driven, people-focused, and creative and empathic in your approach to innovation, this role offers the opportunity to touch a lot of different parts of the company and build a future for yourself with the help of your team, your coworkers, and senior leadership. The role will be reporting directly to our Senior Director of Operations.
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise and monitor the execution of all production activities. Ensure highest quality of handling, processing and storage of raw materials.
- Manage production schedules and priorities for production of goods, including resource requirements based on production volume.
- Work with Sr Dir Ops to come up with budget, OKRs, and strategic plan for initiatives, including setting of meaningful metrics (COGS drivers, efficiency, waste, etc) for reporting and meeting operational and financial goals
- Aggressively identify and implement best practices and follow lean manufacturing principles to identify opportunities to improve overall efficiency and quality within Production.
- Assess and train supervisors and employees on full-cycle production processes.
- Develop, implement, and iterate SOPs for all production operations and hold all staff accountable for following this system.
- Oversee highest standard of allergens/cross-contamination protocols
- Assist the QA Director to ensuring proper team member training, compliance and enforcement of all company policies including food safety, GMP, SOP’s, SSOP’s, HACCP, and all local, state and federal laws.
- Manage & develop production team by conducting regularly scheduled meetings, timely performance reviews and effectively resolving performance issues and celebrating team members through recognition.
- Provide effective and timely training guidance and motivational corrective action, execute performance reviews to supervisors, and communicates Sr. Management’s expectations and objectives
- Ensure compliance with Company policies, as well as all Federal, State and Local Employment Law and OSHA regulations.
- This role involves directing all aspects of production, machinery maintenance, safety, efficiency, operational compliance, product quality, and continuous improvement.
What You’ll Bring:
- 5+ years of progressive management experience in fast paced food production/manufacturing environment with heavy focus on employee management
- Strong knowledge of food handling procedures and regulations
- A current ServSafe certification
- Ability to set, work towards, and achieve aggressive COGS driver and KPI goals
- Experience owning quality, efficiency, and scheduling a workforce
- Proven track record of continuous improvement successes and efficiencies, familiar with lean manufacturing principles including: 5-S, Kaizin, Six Sigma and Root Cause Analysis
- Excellent computer skills
- Working knowledge of OSHA/HACCP/GMP/SSOP/FDA/3rd party GSF/Food Safety
Who You Are:
- Focused on results and people-first leader.
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented; able to work effectively under pressure with high energy and proactive style, embodies a sense of urgency in all facets of job
- Ability to analyze, priority plan, multi-function and manage time effectively
- Ability to effectively work with, lead, and facilitate cross-functional teams
- Clear communication, verbally and written (bonus for working with digital mediums to communicate internally and cross functionally)
- English and Spanish (preferred but not required)
Life At Thistle:
- Competitive salary and equity compensation.
- Excellent health insurance, including medical, dental, and vision.
- Flexible vacation policy - work hard and take time when you need it.
- Bright, driven coworkers who share your passion for food.
- Free meals - Breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus snacks & juice whenever you want them! Share with friends and family too 😎
- Shape the growth trajectory and strategic direction of a rapidly-growing startup.
- Fun team outings (incl. happy hours, BBQs, and more).
Diversity and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.