Product Design Team Lead
R&D – Product /
We are looking for a talented & creative product design team lead with 5+ years of experience to become an integral part of our Product Team at Thoughtexchange. You’ll have the opportunity to lead and inspire a growing product design team while influencing the product in a fast-paced environment by striking the right balance between the functional and the emotional—always keeping our users and their goals in mind.
ThoughtExchange is one of Canada’s fastest growing companies and is the only Enterprise Discussion Management platform powered by patented anti-bias technology. Modern leaders use ThoughtExchange to quickly gain critical insights and improve strategic decision making. With backing from some of the top investors in North America, ThoughtExchange is trusted by leaders across the globe to drive pivotal discussions at scale.
Reporting to the Product Feature Manager, you will provide leadership, direction and mentorship to our product design team. You will also play a pivotal role in the overall product design of our software using your creativity, design principles, and talent in creating a functional and delightful user experience.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Lead a growing and talented product design team
- Work with Product Management to define the product design process for features and releases based on business requirements and development cycles
- Manage and conduct user research to validate and refine product design decisions
- Establish workflows and designs based on best practices and research to deliver user-centric solutions
- Prepare and present design ideas to internal and external stakeholders
- Execute and analyze usability tests
- Create wireframe prototypes and assist with high fidelity mockups and prototyping when required
- Contribute to discovery activities, reviewing customer feedback and data analytics
- Work closely with developers to ensure a great user experience
- Continually learn and grow to ensure we're always delivering the highest value product to our customers
- Advocate for exceptional product design throughout the organization and be a steward for user research and design thinking
- Support our anti racism and diversity, equity & inclusion (ADEI) mandate by (at a minimum) being aware of our ADEI commitment and initiatives, and completing all mandatory ADEI trainings
What we think is true about you:
- Degree or diploma in a UX/UI/design related discipline, or equivalent demonstrable experience
- 5+ years experience in UX/UI design for web or mobile products
- 2+ years experience in leading design teams
- Exceptional communication skills including written, verbal, and presentation
- Experience with usability testing, user interviews and other methods of user research
- Strong work portfolio that demonstrates experience with SaaS solutions, creative design thinking as well as a deep understanding of UX/UI best practices
- Be a great team player and can work well on a collaborative team
- Able to merge business requirements with conceptual ideas and distill them into meaningful product design
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong ability to recognize and predict use cases and user interaction, including happy path as well as edge and corner cases, and incorporate them into designs
- Well versed with current design tools and processes to increase team productivity (Sketch, Invision)
- Experience with software development requirements, Material UI and React framework is preferred
At ThoughtExchange, we make better decisions and build better products by supporting, encouraging and celebrating the diverse voices of our employees. We recognize that we have more work to do to create a workforce that truly represents those who our product serves and the communities we live in. We strongly encourage applicants of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and life experiences to apply.
Mutual respect and reciprocation are the lifeblood of our company. And a working relationship isn’t just about what you can do for us - it’s also about who we are, and what we can do for you.
Who we are:
• Over 175 inspired people work at ThoughtExchange. Their collective experience, ranging from academia to nonprofit to “I’m a high-school dropout who loves Brené Brown’s work and really wants to make a difference”, make our company the very special place it is.
• Our investors believe in us, too. We’ve previously closed over $18M of investment from some of Canada’s top angels, and we recently closed $34 million in Series B funding with a syndicate of incredible US and Canadian investors. To say that we are ready for take off is an understatement.
What we offer:
• Growth and opportunity. Sure, we offer perks such as training and professional development. But beyond that, you’ll find yourself surrounded by mentors from all walks of life, each with a unique set of skills and experience that brought them here.
• Community. We like getting to know one another both in and out of the workplace, whether it’s collaborating in our virtual company meetings, connecting over donut dates or getting together in our offices or on the road.
• Fulfillment. It’s hard to find yourself counting down the days until Friday when you can see and feel the impact what you’re doing makes on the world. Take a skim through our blog and see what we mean.
• Job satisfaction. We don’t mean to brag, but people love working here.
• Work and life. If we’re not able to take work out of our life when we need to, we’re not able to put our life into our work when we want to. With flex time and remote work opportunities, make anywhere your office.
• Ownership. In addition to competitive pay and benefits, employees receive share options when joining the company. Additional options are awarded throughout your ThoughtExchange career based on ongoing contributions to the company.