Software Engineer (Freelance)
London, UK /
We’re looking for a talented Freelance Software Engineer who enjoys crafting amazing user experiences to help enable our 2021 growth.
You'll be an exceptional engineer who cares deeply about the product they’re working on. You will be be joining a compassionate, high-performing team and will be passionate about their craft and building and maintaining the Thread product and auxiliary systems. The role will report into our CTO, Ben Phillips and also work as part of our wider Product org.
At Thread, we’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them – in their size, budget and taste.
As a Software Engineer at Thread, you're journey will begin at an ideas inception all the way through to them being live, tracking the results, and iterating to make them better. Beyond your engineering teammates, you’ll be working closely with a cross-discipline team to achieve shared goals. This current focus is on our emails, scaling them and ensuring a personalised experience for the customer.
In this role you will be:
- Improving the scalability of our email programs and personalisation. As we grow our user-base to the next order of magnitude, and as we move from batch processes towards a schedule more tailored for each user, you will be involved in designing the architecture that allows for this and scaling out the emails. You’ll take on devops tasks alongside work that directly interacts with the customer, and will test the scalability of the new email programs to ensure a smooth rollout
- You will initially work in the Email pod, aiming to maximise sessions and revenue from email. They’ll work with a product manager, a senior engineer, analysts, and others from across the company in a cross-functional pod.
- Build world class product features
- Help maintain and improve our systems
What are we looking for?
- Proficient in Python and Django
- Must thrive on learning and improving, and be curious about all aspects of software engineering
- Must care deeply about their craft, and show a love of beautiful code and architecture
- Must be willing to operate in a fast-paced, results-oriented, Test & Delivery environment
- Must be compassionate towards others, caring about their colleagues and want to help build a safe place for engineers to work
What is it like in engineering at Thread?
- Within the engineering team we review everything that goes into production, both to improve the quality of our code and to share knowledge between team members. We automate the checking of style so that code reviews can focus more on architecture and maintainability
- This creates a natural tension with wanting to move quickly, which we try to address by reducing scope and maintaining code quality, rather than introduce code that will be a burden
- We maintain a backlog of tasks, based on user research, feedback and our vision for Thread. Engineers help shape the direction of a project from the beginning, and have input all the way through design, implementation and iteration
- We encourage those from outside the engineering team to contribute to the codebase, and our engineers have been involved in teaching Python, SQL and how to use GitHub to team members from all over the company
- Finally, every Wednesday afternoon we work on non-roadmap tasks. Examples have included contributing to text-editor plugins that we use, migrating to Python 3, experimenting with React Native, improving the tools used by our stylists, and mentoring contributors from outside the engineering team on pull-requests