Interim Financial Controller
London, UK /
We are looking for an Interim Financial Controller to join and take full responsibility for all monthly accounting, reporting, and controls.
At Thread, we’ve set out to rethink the shopping experience from the ground up, helping people feel happier and more self-confident in the process. Using a combination of expert stylists and machine learning algorithms, we bring people a small, highly personalised selection of the perfect clothes just for them—in their size, budget and taste. By doing so we simplify the shopping process, help people to feel more comfortable in their own skin, and allow them to go out into the world with a spring in their step. It also removes the need to spend Saturday afternoons frustrated by busy high street stores, or spend ages browsing the overwhelming number of options available online.
We’re looking for an Interim FC to partner with the Finance Director and the wider business in running all aspects of the finance control function at Thread, with full responsibility for all monthly accounting, reporting, and controls.
The ideal candidate is experienced enough to run accounting and reporting without much oversight from the FD, and has at least 4 years of experience as a qualified accountant, at least 2 years of which has been spent in a business rather than in practice. They are able to familiarise themselves rapidly with new businesses and processes. They are accurate, thorough and dependable, able to deliver consistently against reporting deadlines.
We’re looking for this person to start as soon as possible and we’re open to them working 4 days per week, or full-time. We’re initially thinking of this as a ~3 month contract.
We’re currently working remotely as a team. We’re planning to gradually return to the office from September onwards, but have a policy that no one has to return to the office this year if they do not feel comfortable doing so. The safety and wellbeing of our team is our number one priority and so we'll be understanding of how you choose to approach working with us. Prior to working remotely as a team, we offered working-from-home opportunities and flexible working hours to help employees develop a healthy work-life balance. This will continue to be our policy over the long-term.
- Prepare the monthly management accounts. Advise on and implement the company accounting policies and procedures and ensure that we always have in place the appropriate level of financial control. Close the month-end quickly, and accurately report variances with insightful commentary.
- Maintaining our accounts payable, and ensuring that suppliers and payments are made on a timely basis.
- Own the company administration, ensuring payroll & pensions are processed, suppliers are paid on time.
- Responsibility for tax and other regulatory compliance and submissions.
Are you the one? You are if you:
- Are a qualified accountant (preferably ACA), with 2 years in audit or similar practice and at least 2 years in a business, preferably in retail or e-commerce
- Have held responsibility in month-end process, reporting and annual audits, internal audit and controls in a retail business, preferably within e-commerce
- Are thorough and highly dependable, taking pride in delivering accurate work in a timely mannerHave experience partnering with an FD or other management within finance and other business functions
- Excited about collaborating with other teams across the business
- Learn from some of the best people in the industry by working directly with our exceptional team: Kieran O’Neill (CEO) has built two products that scaled to millions of users; James Carter (Finance Director) co-founded Gousto; Ed Snelson (Head of Data Science) worked on some of the hardest machine learning challenges at Bing; Tom May (Head of Product Growth) led growth at Songkick; Terry Betts (Head of Business Development) ran the £500m menswear business at Selfridges and co-founded Mr. Porter; etc.
- The chance to solve hard problems in a fast growing business, providing an unrivalled opportunity to develop your skills
- Be part of a values-led team that are working hard to create one of the highest quality cultures in the world. Learn more about how we’re doing this in our culture deck
- Gain first-hand experience of how to start, grow, market and raise funding for startups (perhaps useful for your own company one day)
- A competitive salary