San Francisco /
Product Development /
The Thuma team is looking for an Industrial Designer to join our lean, fast-growing, remote team. We hire for integrity, initiative, collaborative spirit, open mindedness, and willingness to learn.
While Thuma is based in San Francisco, our team is spread across the country. This role is flexible and can be San Francisco-based or fully remote.
What you'll do:
- Understand and speak brand philosophy.
- Identify new product opportunities with key markets and customers.
- Set design requirements based on briefs from internal teams and external partners.
- Define product specifications, including functional, formal, and material.
- Research materials and manufacturing techniques.
- Visualize and document designs using appropriate 2D and 3D techniques — sketches, sketch models, massing and mechanical studies, digital rendering, photography and motion graphics, technical drawings, etc.
- Detail complete product experiences from purchase to unboxing, assembly, usage, and end-of-life.
- Champion product excellence during development, manufacturing and post-launch.
- Gather feedback from customers.
This might describe you:
- Minimum of 5 years experience as Industrial Designer (or similar).
- A combination of studio and in-house design experience is preferable.
- Ideally you have shipped a real product to customers.
- BSc/MSc in Industrial Design, Product Design, or relevant discipline.
- High proficiency with CAD tools. A fundamental understanding is preferable to brand-specific knowledge. The team currently works with Fusion 360, Rhino, Illustrator and the Adobe Creative Suite, among others. Time-management and self-organization skills.
- Excellent verbal and visual communication skills.
- An insatiable appetite for quality and improvement.
- Willingness to learn anything necessary to do good work.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and autonomy.
- You’re able to manage your time and add value that the broader team can feel without being told what to do.
- You’re a team player and come to each new project with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
- You have the ability to quickly adapt in a high-paced environment
Why join us?
- We have an open-minded, talented, collaborative team that values work-life balance, bad jokes, a good sandwich, and has a real passion for lounge and leisure.
- Competitive pay + participation in employee stock option plan.
- Unlimited and flexible PTO. We believe healthy, happy, relaxed people do better work.
- A SF-based HQ with the option for remote work
- A complimentary bed in your choice of size + color
- 401k with generous matching
- Comprehensive health, dental, + vision coverage
- Sponsored membership at One Medical
- Employee Discount Program
Who We Are
Thuma is a bedroom lifestyle brand, offering customers Bed Time essentials and amenities designed to celebrate life’s simple pleasures through thoughtful elevated design, quality craftsmanship, and modern convenience.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of knowledge and are talented beyond the scope of a functional role. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description.
Thuma is dedicated to going above and beyond to bring people with diverse perspectives and unique experiences together to do great work. We strive to create a sense of belonging by creating an inclusive culture where everyone can be their authentic self and by treating each and every team member with kindness, equity, and respect, always.