San Francisco /
Accounting & Finance /
The Thuma team is looking for a Controller to join our fast-growing remote team. We hire for integrity, initiative, collaborative spirit, open mindedness, and willingness to learn.
The Controller will be the first full-time accounting hire at Thuma and report directly to the Director of Finance and Business Operations. You'll be responsible for a majority of accounting functions, including month-end close, revenue recognition, cogs reconciliation, and taxes. We're looking for someone with solid accounting experience who's also excited to dive into other non-accounting projects as they arise. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who will continuously improve upon the processes we have in place and feel comfortable instituting new, more effective policies where needed.
While Thuma is based in San Francisco, our team is spread across the country. This role is flexible and can be San Francisco-based or fully remote.
- Own the month-end close process, including all revenue recognition and inventory recording entries
- Work with the finance/ops team to record all necessary accruals and other monthly transactions
- Own the day-to-day activities such as payroll, AP, and expense reporting
- Prepare monthly consolidated financial statements
- Calculate and pay quarterly taxes and state sales taxes
- Help to improve accounting processes and systems to ensure a timely and accurate close
- Create and implement new accounting policies and procedures
- Develop financial metrics to increase the accuracy and efficiency of the business
This Might Describe You:
- 5-8 years experience in an accounting role
- BS/BA in accounting or finance CPA strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Willingness to branch out and spend time on non-accounting projects, such as FP&A, operations and/or inventory planning
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and autonomy.
- You’re able to manage your time and add value that the broader team can feel without being told what to do.
- You’re comfortable receiving and providing feedback.
- You’re a team player and come to each new project with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
- You have the ability to quickly adapt in a high-paced environment
Why Join Us?
- Competitive pay + participation in employee stock option plan.
- Unlimited and flexible PTO. We believe healthy, happy, relaxed people do better work.
- A SF-based HQ with the option for remote work.
- A complimentary bed in your choice of size + color
- 401k with generous matching.
- Comprehensive health, dental, + vision coverage
- Sponsored membership at One Medical
- Employee Discount Program
Who We Are
Thuma is a bedroom lifestyle brand, offering customers Bed Time essentials and amenities designed to celebrate life’s simple pleasures through thoughtful elevated design, quality craftsmanship, and modern convenience.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of knowledge and are talented beyond the scope of a functional role. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match our job description.
Thuma is dedicated to going above and beyond to bring people with diverse perspectives and unique experiences together to do great work. We strive to create a sense of belonging by creating an inclusive culture where everyone can be their authentic self and by treating each and every team member with kindness, equity, and respect, always.