Product Design Manager
San Francisco, CA / Toronto
Product Design /
About the role
As a Product Design Manager, you'll be leading a talented team of designers while working closely with teams from product, engineering, data, marketing and more to shape the future of app development in the world of no-code. Your work will help ensure that building apps is a joy for beginners and experts alike, allowing them to translate their ideas into apps as simply as possible.
What you'll do
- Shape and articulate the design vision for our app development platform.
- Mentor and guide a team of designers, fostering their growth and ensuring the delivery of high-quality designs.
- Manage workloads, set performance expectations, and provide regular feedback.
- Contribute directly to the product by providing both actionable design assessments as well as producing designs yourself.
- Collaborate with the product, data, engineering, and marketing teams to align design strategies with business goals.
- Make our app builder approachable while still allowing users to create complex designs and interactions;
- Scale the design of our offerings to accommodate new capabilities, features, and customizations;
- Continue to champion user-centric design principles. Anticipate user needs and envision creative solutions that align with our mission to make app development accessible to all.
- Encourage and oversee the application of UX research practices in the design process.
- Promote the use of prototyping and design tools to validate and refine design concepts.
What you'll need
- Strong experience in UI/UX design with a proven track record. Prior experience in a design management or leadership role is highly valued.
- Team Leadership: Strong leadership skills- with the ability to foster collaboration, communicate effectively, and manage a design team in a fast-paced environment.
- User-Centric Design Acumen: Demonstrated expertise in UI/UX design with an innate understanding of user needs and the ability to anticipate user reactions to new interactions.
- Humble decisiveness: Ability to form strong, principled opinions on design while incorporating feedback from stakeholders. This may include the ability to scale design solutions based on level of investment or urgency.
- Continuous learning: A natural curiosity about designing iteratively in a new, evolving space with many kinds of users. You do not need to code or be an art director, but understanding how code comes together or how to put together a brand language will help you define the best solutions.
- Desire to succeed: Eagerness to create a world-class app development platform that can be used effectively by a non-technical user. We are a small but mighty team, so the results are highly impacted by how you communicate and coordinate with a team.
Life at Thunkable
Thunkable is on a mission to democratize app development and empower everyone to build without writing a single line of code. Our platform enables anyone to build and publish their iOS and Android apps for free. Today, non-engineers use Thunkable to prototype and share new ideas, develop proofs-of-concept for their own digital business, and design and ship their own ad-supported and premium apps. Thunkable was incubated at Google Research and MIT. We are backed by Lightspeed, NEA, Owl Ventures, SV Angel, Zhenfund, and Y-Combinator. Our founders are MIT engineers who want to extend the power and fun of creation to people who don’t code.
Joining Thunkable means joining a team of passionate, entrepreneurial and friendly people with different backgrounds, shared ideas, and similar goals. What will you get when joining our team?
- Get compensated: We offer competitive pay, equity and benefits to our employees based on their location. You’ll get access to unlimited PTO regardless of your location.
- Wellness and Training Budget: We value your well-being and want to invest in it.
- Work Where You Want: The company is based in San Francisco (with an office and an hybrid work model for those in the bay area), but operates globally, with team members working across a number of cities, countries, and time zones (to facilitate async work we prioritize countries and locations in a max 2h time zone difference from those hubs: San Francisco, New York and Dublin)
- Shared values: Ownership, Integrity, Clarity, Empowerment, Communication.
- Challenge yourself by acquiring new abilities, interacting with clients, enhancing products, or learning design. We will encourage you to reach your full potential.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace helps ensure we learn from each other’s different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives and is critical for building a product that supports the wide range of our users’ needs. Thunkable is an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position offers a competitive salary that is based on a combination of factors including location. The salary range for this role in San Francisco is between $130,000 and $160,000 per year and will be based on qualifications and skills. If the successful candidate is located in a different location or country, the salary may vary based on the cost of living, currency and other local factors. We are open to discussing salary with candidates who are interested in the role and may be willing to negotiate based on the candidate's experience and qualifications. We are committed to paying our employees fairly and providing opportunities for professional growth and development.