San Francisco, CA / Toronto / Vancouver / Dublin, IE / Porto / Montreal / New York, NY
We're seeking an experienced Engineering Manager who will bridge the technical and non-technical realms, guiding our engineering team to success. The Engineering Manager will be responsible for technical leadership, project management, team development, and stakeholder communication. In our fast-paced startup environment, adaptability, leadership, and a deep technical understanding are crucial.
What you'll do
- Technical Leadership: Offer guidance on technical decisions, ensuring best practices, high-quality code, scalability, and maintainability.
- Project Management: Collaborate with product teams to define scope, deliverables, and timelines. Oversee sprint planning, task allocation, and project delivery.
- Team Development: Lead hiring efforts, onboard new engineers, and provide continuous mentorship and growth opportunities.
- Performance Management: Conduct regular check-ins, manage conflicts, and set clear performance metrics and expectations for the team.
- Resource Allocation: Match engineers with projects based on their strengths, the company's priorities, and growth opportunities.
- Stakeholder Communication: Act as a liaison between the engineering team and other departments, ensuring alignment and clear communication.
- Process Improvement: Drive efficiencies by identifying and implementing improved tools and processes.
- Budget Oversight: Manage the engineering department's budget, ensuring effective resource allocation.
- International Activities: Manage the engineering department's offsite and other social venues and activities.
- Industry Engagement: Stay updated on industry trends, technologies, and best practices to guide the team's direction.
What you'll need
- Proven track record in software development, with progressive responsibilities.
- Prior experience leading and managing engineering teams, preferably in a startup environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Problem-solving aptitude with a solution-oriented approach.
- Ability to adapt and thrive in a constantly evolving environment.
- Quick and effective decision-making capabilities.
- Deep understanding of software development methodologies and tools.
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Efficient time management and multitasking abilities.
Life at Thunkable
Thunkable is on a mission to democratize app development and empower everyone to build without writing a single line of code. Our platform enables anyone to build and publish their iOS and Android apps for free. Today, non-engineers use Thunkable to prototype and share new ideas, develop proofs-of-concept for their own digital business, and design and ship their own ad-supported and premium apps. Thunkable was incubated at Google Research and MIT.
We are backed by Lightspeed, NEA, Owl Ventures, SV Angel, Zhenfund, and Y-Combinator. Our founders are MIT engineers who want to extend the power and fun of creation to people who don’t code.
Joining Thunkable means joining a team of passionate, entrepreneurial and friendly people with different backgrounds, shared ideas, and similar goals.
What will you get when joining our team?
- Get compensated: We offer competitive pay, equity and benefits to our employees based on their location. You’ll get access to unlimited PTO regardless of your location.
- Wellness and Training Budget: We value your well-being and want to invest in it.
- Shared values: Creativity, Openness, Transparency, Persistence, and Entrepreneurialism.
- Challenge yourself by acquiring new abilities, interacting with clients, enhancing products, or learning design. We will encourage you to reach your full potential.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace helps ensure we learn from each other’s different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives and is critical for building a product that supports the wide range of our users’ needs. Thunkable is an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position offers a competitive salary that is based on a combination of factors including location. The salary range for this role in San Francisco is between $180,000 and $200,000 per year and will be based on qualifications and skills. If the successful candidate is located in a different location or country, the salary may vary based on the cost of living, currency and other local factors. We are open to discussing salary with candidates who are interested in the role and may be willing to negotiate based on the candidate's experience and qualifications. We are committed to paying our employees fairly and providing opportunities for professional growth and development.