Sr. DevOps Engineer (Remote or Vancouver)
Vancouver, CAN /
We’re looking for open-minded individuals who want to expand the ways technology can help people. We work fast, collaborate, and celebrate as a team. We’re united by a commitment to shaping Tile’s culture around the needs of our colleagues and customers, and by our desire to build a diverse and welcoming workplace.
Check out our 'Before You Apply' page, to learn more about our Engineering Team!
About the Role
We are looking for a talented and motivated developer to work on our server infrastructure focusing on performance, reliability, health, security, and scalability. You will be responsible for ensuring that our various server systems and infrastructure remain stable and modern. You will also write tools and scripts to help you automate deployment, support and other necessary operations.
You are the kind of engineer that looks at tough or expensive challenges, and figures out ingenious solutions. Whether it’s Java, Scala, Python, Bash or the AWS console, you use the best of many tools to achieve the results you need. If there’s no good way to do something, you create software to do it.
You’re not afraid of working in a large-scale setting, and can dig into the data if there’s any ad-hoc need for it.
You have a background in writing code, and can move into new languages if needed.
You are known for being dependable, a reliable problem solver, and are a tech detective, if something is broken you find it and fix it, aided by the structure you’ve set up.
Challenges you would help solve:
- Drive towards automating everything
- Monitor the various Tile server infrastructure systems and ensure their stability.
- Own CI/CD, and overall administration of the entire distributed system.
- Drive towards efficient, scalable architectures for the Tile server infrastructure.
- Collaborate with developers to plan and build deployment automation and maintainability of larger Tile network.
- Planning and executing maintenance procedures.
- 4+ years production level experience for high volume and highly available distributed systems that are Java based or other web platforms.
- 2+ years production level experience with various AWS cloud services
- Experience with CI platforms like Jenkins, CircleCI
- Demonstrated mastery in scripting (Ubuntu, grep, shell, bash, as well as Python, etc.)
- Expertise with tool sets like Ansible, Vagrant
- Clear understanding of Networking concepts (e.g Firewalls, NAT, Port, Subnetting, VPC, VPNs, DNS, etc)
- Experience with designing and owning production Unix container ecosystems (Docker, EKS, Fargate/ECS, Kubernetes, service discovery, service registry)
- Proven track record of securely architecting and managing AWS (e.g. IAM, EC2, VPC, ELB, ALB, Autoscaling, Lambda) using Infrastructure as Code techniques such as CloudFormation,Terraform
- Experience in designing and running a predictive alerting platform using monitoring tools such as Nagios, Cloudwatch, NewRelic, DataDog or Pingdom
- Experience with data stores/interfaces like SQL, NoSQL, ELK
- Excellent problem solving, organizational and communication skills
- Own equity in the company - every employee is a stakeholder in our future
- Work with an adept team of people who love what they do
- Flexible work program
- Comprehensive health insurance
We solve real problems with technology to make people’s daily lives better.
At Tile, we recognize that daily life is challenging. We lead busy lives filled with family, friends, jobs, pets, and other things we love. Balancing this can be demanding, unpredictable and stressful.
We use technology to solve real everyday problems that keep each day running smoothly. People rely on Tile to be a seamless part of their lives whether they are at home or out in the world.
By helping to make daily lives easier, we free people to find their best lives — whatever that means to them. Tile is for everyone, on every platform, everywhere in the world. Tile for life.
Tile is best known today for its market-leading Bluetooth finders with over 35 million units sold and ~5M items located daily. That said, Tile has recently expanded the devices that are findable by its platform by embedding its software into third-party products.
Over 30 billion Bluetooth devices are shipping over the next 5 years and each of these can be Tile-enabled with a software update. Partnerships have been announced with HP for laptops, leading audio headset OEMs like Bose and SkullCandy, and several others. Tile also has a large portfolio of unannounced OEM partnerships with top brands in many other large verticals (e.g. wearables, bikes, etc.) and is integrating its technology on the Bluetooth chips to make the Tile enablement more seamless for these partners (e.g. Tile has a partnership with Intel for PCs).
In addition to the OEM and chip partnerships, Tile is scaling its finding network by entering into access point partnerships with companies like Google, Amazon, and Comcast (all announced and ongoing).
From a business model perspective, Tile is shifting the relationship with its customers from a transactional device sale to offering a long-term, high-value service. Tile introduced its premium service two years ago and has ~400K subscribers today with a specific focus on growing annual recurring revenue.
We are guided by our company values, which are Start with Trust, Bring It, Build What Matters, Better Together, and Power What’s Next. Recently accredited as a Great Place to Work, we are a high-performing team and our leaders consider themselves to be performance coaches with a primary responsibility of accelerating Tile’s success and that of their teammates. We know that the more our consumers win, the more we win, and we love working with like-minded teammates to do just that.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.