Full Stack Web Engineering - Summer 2021 Internship (San Mateo or Vancouver)
San Mateo, CA /
We’re looking for open-minded individuals who want to expand the ways technology can help people. We work fast, collaborate, and celebrate as a team. We’re united by a commitment to shaping Tile’s culture around the needs of our colleagues and customers, and by our desire to build a diverse and welcoming workplace.
Check out our 'Before You Apply' page, to learn more about our Engineering Team!
About Tile Web
The first Tile website was based on Selfstarter and crowdfunded over $2.6 million. Since then, we’ve grown from selling the original Tile to having a family of products, a Premium subscription service, and much more. Now, a significant percentage of Tile’s revenue comes from sales on our site, mainly during the holiday season. The in-house web development team was founded three years ago, helping launch our web app and expanding our marketing and monetization strategies. Over this time, we’ve remained a small team, and we’re looking to bring on an intern this summer to work on our e-commerce website and platform. Our current web team is located in the Vancouver area. It’s a very exciting time as we are in the middle of a complete re-platform of our website and have lots of interesting projects to tackle. You will collaborate with other engineers on the web team as well as the product, design, marketing, and customer care teams to improve and revamp web flows such as shopping, subscriptions, account, and beyond through new features, A/B tests, and explorations.
Our current tech stack
- Frontend - React, Redux, Fela, Webpack, Storybook - We’ve worked to modernize our frontend and adopt tools to let us build great experiences.
- Backend - Node, Docker, Ansible, Cloudformation, SOA, ECS, AWS - We’ve switched to deploying new services with Node and Docker on top of AWS, and we have a fully automated build.
- Services: Cloudflare, Stripe, Chargebee, Optimizely, Google Analytics, Salesforce, NetSuite, Twilio, New Relic, Logentries, SpeedCurve and more - We’re integrating with many best-in-class services to power our website.
- Capable working both on the client-side/front-end and on the server-side/backend.
- Understanding of a relational database system (like MySQL).
- Interested in all things from visual and interaction design to scalability of the backend systems and everything else that will enable a world-class experience for Tile users.
- Pursuing a BS, MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience building web applications
- Enjoys a growing, collaborative team environment.
- Passion for emerging technologies, mobile applications and the Internet of Things Industry.
We solve real problems with technology to make people’s daily lives better.
At Tile, we recognize that daily life is challenging. We lead busy lives filled with family, friends, jobs, pets, and other things we love. Balancing this can be demanding, unpredictable and stressful.
We use technology to solve real everyday problems that keep each day running smoothly. People rely on Tile to be a seamless part of their lives whether they are at home or out in the world.
By helping to make daily lives easier, we free people to find their best lives — whatever that means to them. Tile is for everyone, on every platform, everywhere in the world. Tile for life.
Tile is best known today for its market-leading Bluetooth finders with over 35 million units sold and ~5M items located daily. That said, Tile has recently expanded the devices that are findable by its platform by embedding its software into third-party products.
Over 30 billion Bluetooth devices are shipping over the next 5 years and each of these can be Tile-enabled with a software update. Partnerships have been announced with HP for laptops, leading audio headset OEMs like Bose and SkullCandy, and several others. Tile also has a large portfolio of unannounced OEM partnerships with top brands in many other large verticals (e.g. wearables, bikes, etc.) and is integrating its technology on the Bluetooth chips to make the Tile enablement more seamless for these partners (e.g. Tile has a partnership with Intel for PCs).
In addition to the OEM and chip partnerships, Tile is scaling its finding network by entering into access point partnerships with companies like Google, Amazon, and Comcast (all announced and ongoing).
From a business model perspective, Tile is shifting the relationship with its customers from a transactional device sale to offering a long-term, high-value service. Tile introduced its premium service two years ago and has ~400K subscribers today with a specific focus on growing annual recurring revenue.
We are guided by our company values, which are Start with Trust, Bring It, Build What Matters, Better Together, and Power What’s Next. Recently accredited as a Great Place to Work, we are a high-performing team and our leaders consider themselves to be performance coaches with a primary responsibility of accelerating Tile’s success and that of their teammates. We know that the more our consumers win, the more we win, and we love working with like-minded teammates to do just that.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.