Senior Web Engineer
San Mateo, CA
We are looking for an awesome, fun, smart, hardworking, creative, friendly, responsible person to effectively help Tile execute on company vision, create great products, and make a great working environment.
The successful candidate will be passionate about best software engineering practices and can get involved in all stages of the product development cycle. The job entails participation in the design, development, and deployment of front-end web, e-commerce solutions. This candidate should ideally enjoy and participate in team lunches, as well as have drive to excel in the company.
What you'll be doing
- As part of the web dev team, work on features across Tile’s entire web presence including website, hybrid app, web app, to support core experiences from e-commerce to Tile Smart Location Platform.
- Collaborate with product, design, marketing, and customer care teams to improve web flows such as shopping, reTile, and account through new features, A/B tests, and explorations.
- Work with modern technologies such as SPAs and containerization and introduce new technologies to continually improve Tile’s web presence.
- Contribute to a wide variety of areas from styling to API integrations to continuous delivery.
- Take ownership for entire stack including development, testing, deployment, maintenance, monitoring and troubleshooting of all Tile web-based systems.
- 5 - 10+ years industry experience in Full Stack Web Engineering role
- Academic background in Computer Science or related field.
- Strong programming and CS fundamentals and principles: DRY, happy path, separation of concerns, OO, functional paradigms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Full-stack experience including deployment of own services or apps from the ground up.
- Knowledge of React, Redux, Node.js, SASS, ES6-7, Bootstrap, BEM, Webpack, HMR, SSR, Isomorphic, Yarn, Docker.
- Understanding of web technologies: JS, HTML, CSS, HTTP, DNS, REST, SQL.
- Comfortable with dev tools and processes: Git, PRs, Kanban, issue tracking, code review.
- Understanding of cloud and application infrastructure: security, routing, load balancers, auto-scaling, HA, deployment patterns, infrastructure as code.
- Comfortable in Linux environment: Bash, SSH, networking, services, packaging, permissions, configuration.
- Familiarity with key web performance concepts such critical rendering path, caching, CDNs, speed index, profiling.
- Familiarity with monitoring and analytics tools: log management, alerting, Google Analytics.
- Familiarity with AWS (ECS, ALB, RDS, Cloudformation, etc.), Ansible (playbooks, vault, roles, etc.), Jenkins (Pipelines, etc.), or Selenium (Ruby, rspec, etc.) is a plus.
- Familiarity with PHP and Java and commonly used frameworks are a plus.
- Contributions to open source software are a plus.
- Passion for emerging technologies, mobile applications and the Internet of Things Industry.
- Own equity in the company. Every employee is a stakeholder in our future.
- Work with a great team of people who love what they do.
- Team lunches and company-wide events and outings
- On-site gym access
- Free Parking
- Comprehensive health insurance; dental, vision, 401K, and pre-tax commuter deduction.
Tile is giving everything the power of smart location. Our devices, network and mobile app work together to help people locate their things. Tile's global community spans 230 countries and territories and helps people locate more than 2 million unique items every day. The company is headquartered in San Mateo, California with a second office in Portland, Oregon. Investors include Bessemer Venture Partners, GGV Capital and Khosla Ventures.
Tile is the result of one man’s quest to help his wife find the (many, many) things she lost. As it turns out, she wasn’t alone. Now 5 years and 10 million Tiles later, Tile is creating a world where everyone can find everything that matters. When you’ve lost something, getting it back safe and sound can feel impossible. But thanks to Tile, there’s a community of people out there helping that thing you love find its way back home.
We believe that loss should be a thing of the past, and that lending a helping hand should be effortless. We’re not here to simply connect people to things. We’re here to connect people to people, because things don’t change the world. People do.
Together we find. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.