Timehop is looking for a Backend Engineer to join the team and solve a wide range of technical problems. You'll be challenged to build new features on our platform by extending and maintaining our API, create new services as needed, and ensuring high stability.
Everyday, millions of users come back to Timehop to reminisce. Timehop pulls in all of your memories, from your camera roll, Facebook, Twitter, Google Photos, and other services to show you what you did and said on this day in history.
Our system serves terabytes of data within milliseconds to millions of users. To achieve that, we've built a platform on Golang, AWS Aurora, Redis, AWS Kinesis, among other technologies, all running atop AWS.
You would be responsible for
- Build performant scalable services (batch processes, push notification systems, API ingestion processes, etc)
- Collaborating with our iOS and Android teams on the API for new features
- Participating in sprint planning and product planning sessions to create features for our end users
- Planning and executing various monetization features
- Work on adding monitoring and metrics to increase visibility into what is happening on our system
- Participating in code reviews to ensure high quality code
- Building tools internally to empower the rest of the company
- 4+ years of experience working on systems at scale
- Experience writing Go
- Expert knowledge of Java, Scala, or some dynamic language
- Good working knowledge of concurrent code
- Experience working with APIs (OAuth2, JSON, etc)
- Deploying apps to AWS
BONUS POINT FOR
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with mobile application development
- Active contributor to open source community
- Experience monitoring and debugging distributed systems
Some technologies we use
- AWS (EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, Kinesis, Aurora, & more)
- Mixpanel, Stathat, Datadog
Timehop created the digital nostalgia category and continues to be THE team reinventing reminiscing for the digital era. We have more "old" photos and content than ever before, yet most of the internet focuses on "new". Timehop has a massive untapped opportunity to build new ways of consuming, storytelling with, and finding meaning in our digital histories.
Our goal is to help billions of people around the world connect with their friends around the past. We collect your scattered digital history from the far corners of the internet – all of your past photos, status updates, tweets, checkins and posts. Then we add context and meaning so that you understand and appreciate your history better. Lastly, we help you tell great stories by making it easy to creatively share and talk about your history.
Each day, twice as many people read Timehop as the NYTimes. And we're backed by $14M in funding from the same investors behind Twitter, Tumblr, and Oculus and approaching permanent profitability.
We look forward to hearing from you!