Construction Engineer / Manager
Washington - Seattle
Rail – West Coast /
Full Time (40) /
Do you prefer working from a construction site instead of a cubicle? Do you enjoy watching stuff get built? Do you enjoy new and interesting challenges every day? If so, then consider joining our team in Seattle as a Construction Engineer/Manager!
As a member of our team, you will oversee construction operations of various railroad projects to ensure day-to-day activities are consistent with the plans and specifications. You will collaborate with contractors and railroad or rail agency representatives to review and provide input on construction issues and inspect activities in accordance with quality standards and code requirements to ensure projects come in on time and under budget with minimal change orders.
While on-site, you will serve as an advisor throughout the construction process by attending pre-construction and progress meetings, preparing and presenting status reports, negotiating change orders, identifying issues and providing assistance in resolving construction and design related challenges, determining desired/required material specifications and coordinating material testing, conducting surveys, measuring quantities for payment, logging and photographing observation and construction activities, and assisting or providing guidance to construction inspectors. While in the office, you will assist with the development of proposals, estimate project budgets and schedules, and conduct constructability reviews of project plans.
- 2-4 years of progressive transportation or municipal construction management experience.
- Ability to verify construction conformance with approved plans and specifications and coordinate/perform required material testing.
- Strong working knowledge of construction methods / practices, the preparation and assembly of construction documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately interpret and verify engineering specifications and construction plans in accordance with construction operation activities and requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective verbal and written communication skills; Ability to participate in and lead discussions during plan reviews, progress meetings, project team meetings, and site observations.
- Basic working knowledge of AutoCAD or Civil 3D.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to travel up to 75% to perform site inspections/observations; Overnight travel will be required.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Ability to work outdoors year-round on active construction sites; ability to work overnight hours on occasion during primary construction season (April – October).
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds across rough terrain and stand for extended periods of time to perform observation and inspection responsibilities.
- Previous experience conducting topographic surveys.
- Previous training or experience with MicroStation or AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Previous experience preparing erosion control and grading plans and stormwater pollution prevention plan (SWPPPs).
- Valid Construction Site Management, Erosion & Sediment Control, or Concrete Inspection certifications.
- Previous experience working on projects for freight railroads or commuter rail agencies.
Upon acceptance of a conditional offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete a standard pre-employment background screening, which consists of Social Security verification, educational verification, review of criminal convictions, and driving history.
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and must be able to complete and pass any background, security, and drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and state and/or federal agencies.
*Notice to Recruiters and Placement Agencies*
TKDA will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or placement agencies unless a service agreement is in place. In the event TKDA receives an unsolicited resume without a service agreement in place, TKDA will not be obligated to pay a service fee of any amount nor will TKDA be held liable to terms or conditions under any agreement of any kind that has not been authorized in writing by a TKDA officer.