Professional Engineer, Structural (Heavy Industrial)
Minnesota - Saint Paul (HQ)
Rail – Structural /
Full Time (40) /
If you are an experienced Structural Engineer who is looking for an opportunity to engage with heavy industrial projects from conceptual design through completion of construction, then you belong at TKDA!
As a member of our employee-owned and integrated team of multi-disciplined design and engineering professionals, you will collaborate with an in-house, multi-discipline team of experienced professionals to provide a wide range of engineering and construction support services for Class I, short line, and passenger railroads across the country. Your role will include design and repair of maintenance facilities, locomotive fueling stations, bulk handling structures, administration buildings, and a variety of other unique structures that are essential to railroad operations. In addition to serving as a technical expert by preparing design calculations, plan sets, specifications, and construction cost estimates, you will be able to develop (or enhance) your project management skills by planning, directing, and monitoring all aspects of multi-discipline projects, from conceptual design through construction administration.
As an experienced professional, you will have the opportunity to mentor and develop Graduate Engineers and recently registered Professional Engineers while you work together to meet the needs of our clients. You will also assist Group Managers, Market Managers, and the Vice President with efforts to market services and develop business opportunities by identifying and tracking leads, cultivating and establishing client relationships, developing proposals, and preparing and delivering presentations.
For this opportunity, we are seeking qualified professionals who reside within 50 miles of one of the following locations: Saint Paul, Minnesota; Chicago, Illinois; or Seattle, Washington. Flexible work arrangements will be considered for those who have demonstrated an ability to work successfully in a hybrid work environment by displaying self-motivation, initiative, teamwork, and strong communication skills.
- Bachelor degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Professional Engineer in the State of Minnesota or Illinois (or ability to obtain registration within six months), with a minimum of five (5) years of experience designing heavy industrial structural projects.
- Experience working with regulatory agencies, and knowledge of the permit application process.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, RISA, and MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Proficiency in drafting and assembling plan sets, specifications, and construction cost estimates.
- Experience managing structural-specific and/or multi-disciplined projects.
- Experience performing construction observation and inspection services.
- Previous experience and demonstrated ability to establish and maintain client relations.
- Ability to apply effective written and verbal communication when developing proposals, preparing technical reports, and participating in or leading project team meetings.
- Ability to travel up to 20% for project team meetings, client consultations, site inspections, etc. Overnight travel will occasionally be required.
- Master degree in Structural Engineering.
- Licensed Structural Engineer in states that recognize the SE designation.
- Previous Class I Railroad project experience.
- Business development experience, including preparation of proposals and fee estimates.
Upon acceptance of a conditional offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete a standard pre-employment background screening, which consists of Social Security verification, educational verification, review of criminal convictions, and driving history.
Note: To be considered for this opportunity and to perform the assigned responsibilities, candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States, possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record, and have the ability to travel frequently throughout the country for project assignments. Candidates must also be able to complete and pass any background, security, motor vehicle record (MVR), or drug test requests required by TKDA, clients, and applicable state and/or federal agencies.
*Notice to Recruiters and Placement Agencies*
TKDA will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or placement agencies unless a service agreement is in place. In the event TKDA receives an unsolicited resume without a service agreement in place, TKDA will not be obligated to pay a service fee of any amount nor will TKDA be held liable to terms or conditions under any agreement of any kind that has not been authorized in writing by a TKDA officer.